Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Getting error :setfacl: /home/ubuntu/.local: No such file or directory

Answers

• Hi @mangeshbelwalkar,

What OS are you using to run the labs, in a virtual machine or native installation?
    What ID is used to run the lab exercise, what are the outputs of echo $HOME and ls -a $HOME commands?

Regards,
    -Chris

• hi, I´m facing the same issue, I´m using a VM with ubuntu server (host is Windows 10)
    I tried to solve it creating the /.local directory but when I tried to start the container it failed (not sure if this error is the cause of the issue)

find below the output of the commands requested:

• terrence
    terrence Posts: 2

I'm facing this same issue as well. I'm using a VM with Ubuntu Server (Host OS is Windows 10)
    see the outputs of the commands
    echo $HOME and ls -a $HOME

• terrence
    terrence Posts: 2

Hi everyone, so here's an explanation and a solution to this.

Explanation

In current Unix OS, /usr is where user-land programs and data (as opposed to 'system land' programs and data) are stored.
    The /usr/local directory mirrors the structure of the /usr directory, but can be used by system administrators to install local or third party packages for all users.
    ~/.local which is the same as /home/<user>/.local is made to mirror /usr/local directory but can be used by a partictular user to install local or third party packages for this particular user. This directory is often created by 3rd party applications/packages on the host OS.

Solution

Steps

• In my case, I simply installed pip3 with sudo apt install python3-pip
      Related files to this package where installed to /usr

• I installed a random package using pip3 install --user ipython
      This installs ipython for my particular user, so it automatically creates a .local directory in my home directory where folders and files related to this package are stored.

I hope this helps :-)

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155

Hi @dalbaran and @terrence,

The ~/.local directory (if missing) can easily be created with mkdir .local.

If the lxc-start command does not run the container upon creation with lxc-create (which seems to be an unexpected behavior), I recommend a reboot of the VM. After the VM reboot the container started successfully.

Regards,
    -Chris

Categories

Upcoming Training