Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

build my own debian system

i am a beginner trying to put together a iso of debian. I allways heard that was the cherry on top of linux. to my surprise I can not find any info on doing this. All my research ends up at netinstall. I do not want to install another linux at this time. I do want to download the files needed to do what i call a base install. just the files needed to boot my laptop and run basic commands. then i will add what want and learn as i go. Will anyone help me with this or point me in the right direction? please

Comments

• @texasdave001 said:
    just the files needed to boot my laptop and run basic commands

Focus on learning to walk before attempting to run.

As a beginner, you will do better to use a minimalist virtual machine install to partition and format a (virtual) disk, configure the bootloader, load drivers for your hardware, and provide a text console. These are things that aren't easy for experienced users, so you need reach better than average familiarity with the Debian Reference document and The Debian Administrator's Handbook as well as low level vendor-dependent details of your hardware platform. Bootable linux ISO's are the result of efforts by a large community, and include people who have access to specialized development systems that allow them to debug boot failures.

• @gnwiii
    Have you noticed that this thread was made 2 years ago?

• gnwiii
    gnwiii Posts: 3
    edited September 2022

Yes -- saw a complaint elsewhere (someone wanting a minimal headless system to run one Java application) that it didn't have an answer. I assume they found it with some web search. It would be nice to have a way to remove questions that haven't been answered in over a year.

• This method was recently used by me. This was told to me by a friend. This is beneficial to me. There are a few steps you must take if you want to build your own Debian system. First, get the Debian ISO from the official website. Once you've obtained the ISO, you'll need to create a bootable USB drive or DVD. Then, boot your system from the USB drive or DVD and follow the on-screen instructions to install Debian. After installation, you'll need to the system by installing software, creating users, and more. Finally, make sure your system is secure by updating it and installing any security patches.

Categories

Upcoming Training