Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 2.2: "Unable to locate package podman" when following workaround

Options
solidstatedog
solidstatedog Posts: 2
edited May 2022 in LFD259 Class Forum

I'm following along with GCE Ubuntu 20.04 LTS image, and followed workarounds for podman/buildah in: https://forum.linuxfoundation.org/discussion/861402/lab-2-2-deploy-a-new-cluster-perfectly-followed-instructions-fail#latest

However, I'm somehow not seeing podman package at all.

$ sudo apt install podman
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package podman

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thank you

Comments

• sistratton
    sistratton Posts: 4
    Options

I've got the same problem :(

• sistratton
    sistratton Posts: 4
    Options

I tried using the GCE Ubuntu 20.10 image, but got a whole host of OTHER issues, so that doesn't work...

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,165
    Options

Hi @solidstatedog and @sistratton,

Can you validate the contents of the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devel:kubic:libcontainers:stable.list file and that the expected key has been properly added by running sudo apt-key list ?

Regards,
    -Chris

• solidstatedog
    Options

The steps seem to be working now. Thank you!

• artisto
    artisto Posts: 5
    Options

Hello! So I found this forum while trying to figure out a solution for the same problem listed here that I am having on MINT. I seemed to have installed distrobox but am having the same problem described here. I can not figure this out and by reading whats available above here, I'm not sure I see the fix. I have been downloading a whole bunch of dependencies and other stuff trying to get this thing to work and still nothing! Very frustrated here can I please have some immediate help here?
    THANKS!

• chrispokorni
    Options

Hi @artisto,

The course and the fixes provided above are targeting the Ubuntu OS. For specific podman installation and configuration steps on Mint I would recommend inspecting the official podman documentation

https://podman.io/docs/installation#linux-mint

Regards,
    -Chris

• artisto
    Options

Thank you! Do you know or can tell me if all I need to do is cut and paste that command line visible under the Linux mint title? I'm not a pro linux user yet.
    Thanks again!!!!!!!

• chrispokorni
    Options

Hi @artisto,

Please read carefully the instructions under Linux Mint installation. They make a clear reference to another installation section, that requires the necessary substitutions provided in code block.

Regards,
    -Chris

• artisto
    Options

So I don't know- I followed this post and tried to cut and paste the command line shown

(Lab 2.2: "Unable to locate package podman" when following workaround)

Nothing happens and if I scroll down a bit there is another set of command line instruction for Mint. I ran that then ran this command and I still get the same error originally posted here! HELP!

Should I just uninstall MINT and go with BLEND OS here? Please! Someone make this easy!

• chrispokorni
    Options

Hi @artisto,

The course material was created and tested on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to be aligned with the CKAD certification exam environment.

We encourage learners who are experienced Linux users to run the lab exercises on other distributions too, but they would be responsible to work out any differences, dependencies, and incompatibilities in order to get themselves started. Typically, such differences would be encountered in the earlier labs during the installation and configuration steps, otherwise the Kubernetes CLI should work as described in the lab guide.

Regards,
    -Chris

• artisto
    Options

Ok, I don't understand what you are telling me. How does this fix my error message and allow me to install podman so that I can run distrobox?

• artisto
    edited August 2023
    Options

Categories

Upcoming Training