Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Exercise 6.6: Domain Review

pbbhaskar
pbbhaskar Posts: 15
edited February 2021 in LFD259 Class Forum
  1. After finding the errors, log into the container and find the proper id of the nginx user.

Did anyone figure out the proper ID of the nginx user?

Comments

• serewicz
    serewicz Posts: 1,000

Yes.

• @serewicz Can you tell me how you figured out the ID? I looked at the container logs. But I did not find any ID there. I finally used runAsUser: 0 (in place of runAsUser: 3000). That worked. But I read on the internet that this is not the best option.

• any solution to this? It seems one should run id nginx to get the proper id nginx is running under. But you can't execute commands in a container which fails to start in the first place

me@cp1:~/k8s/lfs$ k exec securityreview -- id nginx
    error: unable to upgrade connection: container not found ("webguy")

or should change the pod command to id nginx, run it once to get the pid, kill the pod, fix the yaml and re-apply?

• serewicz
    serewicz Posts: 1,000

Hello,

The point of the reviews are to exercise and solidify what you have learned. If you cannot remember the process of looking for information I encourage you to revisit the content. Telling you, and others, what to type undoes the point of a review.

In general, look at logs. Look at errors. In this case there is an obvious error. Reading and understanding this error should cause you to investigate what caused that error. How do we investigate an error? How would we compare and contrast against something without an error?

Regards,

• @levivb

But to answer your question, you need to issue the "id nginx" command... but cannot reach the nginx container in the pod... b/c it isn't started.

... you can add busybox
    ... you can look in secondapp

On my first cycle of RTM (Read The Manual) I did not go past the "ps aux". I suggest you read further down that "extra" reading page. You will find the "id" command... though not in that format (if I recall)

• headkaze
    headkaze Posts: 15
    edited August 2022

Check out this answer on stack overflow

Categories

Upcoming Training