Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Minikube

I Hope everyone is well and merry xmas. I am trying to launch minikube, only for it to fail with the error message bash: /usr/local/bin/minikube: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error If anyone know why I keep getting this error? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you everyone.

Comments

• I have figured this out. It just needed the .bin version and not the .deb. Thanks everyone.

• Hi @dctheroux,

Minikube offers a single-node Kubernetes cluster setup, while its newer multi-node capability is still experimental.

Many of the lab exercises in LFS258 have been designed for a multi-node Kubernetes cluster, and will produce inconsistent results when attempted on a single-node cluster, such as the Minikube cluster. A multi-node cluster is better suited while exploring concepts and topics described in lectures as well as lab exercises of LFS258. The labs run well in the cloud on two Google Cloud GCE instances, but also on two AWS EC2 instances. Learners successfully completed the course on local multi-node setups as well, using VirtualBox as a hypervisor, but others may be used instead.

Regards,
    -Chris

• taoza
    taoza Posts: 1

@chrispokorni said:
    Hi @dctheroux,

Minikube offers a single-node Kubernetes cluster setup, while its newer multi-node capability is still experimental.

Many of the lab exercises in LFS258 have been designed for a multi-node Kubernetes cluster, and will produce inconsistent results when attempted on a single-node cluster, such as the Minikube cluster. A multi-node cluster is better suited while exploring concepts and topics described in lectures as well as lab exercises of LFS258. The labs run well in the cloud on two Google Cloud GCE instances, but also on two AWS EC2 instances. Learners successfully completed the course on local multi-node setups as well, using VirtualBox as a hypervisor, but others may be used instead.

Regards,
    -Chris

👍。

• abp7
    abp7 Posts: 2

@dctheroux said:
    I Hope everyone is well and merry xmas. I am trying to launch minikube, only for it to fail with the error message bash: /usr/local/bin/minikube: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error If anyone know why I keep getting this error? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you everyone.

I am facing the same issue , could u pls elaborate how u fixed the issue.

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155

Hi @abp7,

In the first comment, dctheroux described the solution:

I have figured this out. It just needed the .bin version and not the .deb. Thanks everyone.

In short, an incorrect binary format was downloaded for the host system.

Regards,
    -Chris

• The Minikube install looks like it's made for MAC? "Darwin"?

Looking online the URL for Ubuntu 20.04 should be https://storage.googleapis.com/minikube/releases/latest/minikube-linux-amd64

Can anyone recommend a multi-server setup? I have some extra servers I can use to create a cluster.

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155

Hi @PeterCharuza,

You can try following the LFS258 lab guide, it was designed for a multi-node cluster.

Minikube multi-node capability is still in its early stages. And yes, Minikube can be installed on Mac, on Windows, and on several Linux distributions.

Regards,
    -Chris

Categories

Upcoming Training