Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Completing the course?

Hi.

I noticed that I cannot move onto the LFCS course. Do I have to mark LFS201 as completed before I can move onto the LFCS course? Also, if I mark LFS201 as completed can I come back and view the course at a later date?

Comments

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,886

LFCS is the certification exam, and you can schedule it whenever you are ready to take it; scheduling the exam is not contingent on completing LFS201. If you mark LFS201 complete, you will still be able to access the course content for the remainder of the 1 year enrollment access period.

• WarrenUK
    WarrenUK Posts: 72
    edited May 2020

Hi.

Sorry I was wrong. I have courses for LFS201 and LFS211. Is there a course for LFCS or is that just the name of the exam?

Does LSF201 = LFCS exam?
    and does LFS211 = LFCE exam?

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,886

LFS101 on edX and LFS201 are considered good preparation for LFCS. LFS211 is considered good preparation for LFCE.

• WarrenUK

OK thanks for clearing it up.

I have completed LFS101 a year ago but I will brush up on it again.

I can now access LFS211 after marking LSF201 as complete.

• WarrenUK

@fcioanca said:
    LFS101 on edX and LFS201 are considered good preparation for LFCS. LFS211 is considered good preparation for LFCE.

Hi.

Are you sure this is correct? I am looking at what is required for each exam and for LFCS some of the requirements I only covered in LFS211. I'm a little worried.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

There is a definitely overlap in domains between the two exams (LFCS and LFCE) and the exam authors were not thinking of how to do training, it was not their business as they are independent. In constructing LFS201 we did pay attention to the certification exams public information about coverage. However, there are areas listed (at low weight) where it seemed unlikely that a performance-based exam could really cover in a reasonable amount of time, as time is short on an exam and there are multiple questions. We also wanted to minimize overlap between LFS201 and LFS211 as both courses are already stuffed. Certainly if you work on LFS211 before you take the LFCS exam it will only help, even if only to gain more practice with the tools learned in LFS201. The subject matter is indeed more advanced.

• GRO 108
    GRO 108 Posts: 46

I had similar concerns to @WarrenUK 's regarding LFS201 not covering everything that may be covered in the LFCS exam.

That concern comes from my reading of two LF resources
    1. Certification Preparation Guide - Chapter 1: Domains and competencies - Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator
    There is a category titled 'Service Configuration - 20%' which lists a number of tasks that weren't covered in LFS201, although this may be dependent on the depth of the tasks required to be performed in the exam.
    2. LF Cloud Engineer Bootcamp - study plan
    The study plan shows a progression of LFS201 -> LFS211 -> LFCS and would make sense given the competencies shown in point 1.

With regards to point 1. could someone clarify if this subject matter is covered in LFS201 and I've just been blind to it? Or that it is indeed covered in LFS211?

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

By design, you should not need LFS211 for LFCS. However, the more you know, and the more context you know, the better.

Let me repeat again, none of these courses are designed to be pure examination preparation courses. We do not work that way. Yes, we know there are exams and certifications that are linked this way, but this is not the LF methodology. Our goal is to help people obtain the skill set necessary to thrive in today's technology and job market, and at the same time (obviously) to supply this talent to the organizations and industries etc that are staving for competent talent in a fast moving and dynamic technological universe.
    (that does sound like PR techno-babble, but it is indeed 100 percent true.)

All LF-developed exams are purely performance based; there are no multiple choice type questions, and thus learning trivia, too many details and purely descriptive stuff does not help. There are no questions like the knowledge checks that are in the course. You have to set up, or fix things, or trouble shoot real situations in finite time and you have only two hours on the exam, so don't overthink things and spend a lot of time (for exam prep, that is!) on Herculean tasks.

Furthermore, all LF exams permit a free re-take if you fail the first time, which is far from uncommon (a benefit I personally have not heard about other certification exams). So the approach is to not over-worry it, try to stay calm and the more you can to do, the better you are likely to perform on exam day, which you can view as practice day.

I hope this helps.

Categories

Upcoming Training