Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 3.1 Install Kubernetes 4.b.x Configure kubelet to understand how to interact with crio

The latest manual states: root@lfs458-node-1a0a: ̃# vim /etc/default/kubelet

1. There is no such file, so I created one
  2. In the step 14, when I run kubelet init... I get the response: Found multiple CRI sockets meaning the file I just created is not being used by the kubelet command.
  3. I am using ubuntu 18.04 with the following kube* versions:
    Setting up kubelet (1.18.1-00) ... Setting up kubectl (1.18.1-00) ... Setting up kubeadm (1.18.1-00) ...

So far I have spent over 3 hours on troubleshooting instead of learning something

Comments

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155

Hi @MichalWiczynski,

One nice feature of vim editor is that it automatically creates a file for you if it is not found, so there is no need to first create a file and then edit that file with vim.

Multiple CRI indicate multiple runtimes. Did you happen to install both Docker (a) and CRI-O (b) in step 4?

Regards,
    -Chris

• MichalWiczynski
    MichalWiczynski Posts: 12
    edited May 2020

@chrispokorni said:
    Hi @MichalWiczynski,

One nice feature of vim editor is that it automatically creates a file for you if it is not found, so there is no need to first create a file and then edit that file with vim.

This was purely informational

Multiple CRI indicate multiple runtimes. Did you happen to install both Docker (a) and CRI-O (b) in step 4?

Yes I did install both, and I want to use cri-o, which has been defined in my previous step when I created /etc/default/kubelet file with contents pasted from the course PDF: KUBELET_EXTRA_ARGS=--fiature-gates="AllAlpha=false,RunAsGroup=true" --container-runtime=remote --cgroup-driver=systemd --container-runtime-endpoint='unix:///var/run/crio/crio.sock' --runtime-request-timeout=5m

• chrispokorni

In my version of the lab manual, there is a note in step 4 advising to install one runtime or the other, and the expected outcome once both runtimes are installed.
    Perhaps you have a different version where this note is missing?

Regards,
    -Chris

• No, I have installed both and I have defined one of them exactly like specified in the course and that was the output I got.

And again, I am not looking for alternative ways of achieving the same, I am after the explanation: why, when I follow the paid course, things do not work.

• serewicz
    serewicz Posts: 1,000

Read the course again. You are not following it. It clearly states install one or the other. Not both.

• chrispokorni

Hi @MichalWiczynski,

You may find the desired explanation in the official documentation:

https://kubernetes.io/docs/setup/production-environment/tools/kubeadm/install-kubeadm/

Regards,
    -Chris

• Thanks, it works now with both

Categories

Upcoming Training