Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

greetings and questions

Options

Hi all,
first of all I wish to introduce myself. My name is Lorenzo and I just enrolled to LFS201 course which I found very well done and organized.

I have a question. Does anyone who has already done and passed the exam, used any other books with theory and exercises, in order to be better prepared for the exam itself? Maybe the once for LPIC Certification? or Comptia?
I am asking this, because, as I will have time to dedicate to this course, I will try to do my best to pass the exam
If so, could you please share book title?

In addition I wrote that the exam will be in a "specific" environment. Will it be possible to use it in advance in order to practice using it?

I wish to thank you

Lorenzo

Comments

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options

You have a choice of taking the exam on CentOS or Ubuntu on a virtual machine in the cloud. As far as exam prep goes please look at the linux foundation certification page which has helpful guides and lists of resources. We do not prepare these or design them with reference to the training as the certification and training staffs are separated by a firewall.

• LorenzoDlc
    Options

@ coop Thanks for your answer

• Endraya
    Endraya Posts: 4
    Options

I would recommend starting an unhealthy living of reading the Arch Linux Wiki which is a good go to source for general information.
    Remember, as long as you can chroot in, any damage can be repaired to the system so do not be afraid to apply solutions and test what works and what not do to again ;)
    In regards to books, no, just no. Youtube and a mediacenter might work better though, but most knowledge is obtained from doing and not reading about a hypothetical scenario for some topic. Try different things, break stuff (not critical systems perhaps) if the worst happens, learn to use install medias to chroot in, mount the fs structure and perform repairs.

If you wish to learn more about Linux in general i recommend a "difficult" distribution (Arch Linux, Gentoo or developing your own e.t.c.) which forces you to learn or simple not use a computer anymore.
    A bit extreme, but functional (try not using valium or xanax as a result of the high learning curve) from these distributions, but once you master them you are already at LFCS and above level in terms of knowledge (most often).

Categories

Upcoming Training