Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

LFS258 - Looking for Kubernetes installation help on Windows system

jputh2018
jputh2018 Posts: 7
edited February 2018 in LFS258 Class Forum

LFS258 Looking for Kubernetes installation help on Windows system

My system is Windows 7 and 12 GB RAM. 100 GB harddisk space. and 64-bit

could you please help me some guidelines to Setting up kubernetes cluster in VMware workstation ?

Awaiting for your fasten reply

Thanks

Comments

• serewicz
    serewicz Posts: 1,000

Begin by creating an Ubuntu 16.04 virtual machine inside of VMware. You will need prior Linux system administration knowledge to install missing packages and any necessary configuration to connect to the internet. Once the VM has been installed and configured you should be able to begin the labs.

Regards,

• jputh2018
    edited February 2018

Thanks for the reply.

I dont have vmware support Ubuntu VM. COuld you please share the link to download for windows 7 system?

• jputh2018
    edited February 2018

could you please help on the link which supported for windows 7 system and how to configure with kubernetes and others?

could you please share the link ?

• jputh2018
    edited February 2018

could you please help on the link which supported for windows 7 system and how to configure with kubernetes and others?

could you please share the link ?

https://training.linuxfoundation.org/content/e-learning-courses

"

LFS258 Kubernetes Fundamentals

So you've heard of Kubernetes but have no idea what it is or how it works? Then this is the course for you. It will take you from zero to knowing how to deploy a containerized application and manipulating resources via the API.

• serewicz

Hello,

The course is written for LInux. While Kubernetes will be very similar between the operating systems, the exercise tasks may be much different. Please note from the webpage:

https://training.linuxfoundation.org/linux-courses/system-administration-training/kubernetes-fundamentals

Prerequisites: To get the most out of this course, you should have basic Linux command line skills and at least some knowledge of linux containers (e.g. Docker).

Regards,

• I have enough linux basic command knowledge. I keep asking to you about installation guideline.

• serewicz
    edited March 2018

Here is a document on installing Kubernetes 16.04. https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/installation-guide/amd64/index.html

While I would start with a minimal sever install, adding the OpenSSH server metapackage, a Desktop install would work as well. Use apt to install missing software as necessary.  My system has about 500 packages installed. 

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155

Hi, 

When you install VMware on your personal Windows 7 workstation, you have the option of spinning up a single Ubuntu VM and install minikube on it, which will give you a single node cluster, or by spinning up 1, 2, or more separate Ubuntu VMs you can replicate the master/worker nodes cluster built with kubeadm, as described in the labs. 

However, my personal favorite and less hassle is to use either GCP (which I am using now) or AWS to spin up your Ubuntu VMs. Both GCP and AWS give you 1 free year to play around in the cloud, and by doing so you get the true benefits of using Kubernetes on top of Ubuntu VMs in the cloud.

Good luck!

-Chris

• sdalziel
    sdalziel Posts: 17
    edited March 2018

Hi here's my solution so far for progressing through the labs. I'm using Oracle's VirtualBox as my VM admin software. With that software, I've installed an Ubuntu 16.04 Linux virtual machine. Inside the virtual machine's window I'm using the terminal to install the docker & kubernetes software packages.

I hope this helps you get started and learning Kubernetes. Please feel free to ask questions. :-)

Regards,

Sean

• sdalziel
    sdalziel Posts: 17
    edited March 2018

I was having problems with my local VM lab running Lab 3.1. I have since switched to AWS's free tier of nodes and have successfully completed this lab. 

• serewicz

Thanks for the feedback what worked and what did not.

Cheers,

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155
    edited April 2018

Hi Sean, @sdalziel

I attempted to run Lab 3 on vbox Ubuntu VMs, and I was able to complete the exercises. In the topic below I posted some of the steps and my findings. I hope this helps.

https://www.linux.com/forums/lfs258-class-forum/lab-3233-master-node-network-problem

Regards, 

-Chris

Categories

Upcoming Training