[Unit]
Description=fake2
After=network.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/bin/echo I am starting the fake2 service
ExecStop=/bin/echo I am stopping the fake2 service

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

This is my fake2.service script from the instructions. I tried to add the service and monitor the service but I cannot find out specific things.

I changed my system a while back for other book purposes. I think this may hinder what I am trying with this instruction from the Linux Foundation.

Anyway,

I have been unable to start, status, and stop the service.

If you need any info. from me, please let me know. It usually prompts me stating unable to resolve host.

Seth

P.S. Please get back to me when anyone out there has time. 4.2 is the Systemd Service section I am reviewing for now.

Comments

• zoomm10
    zoomm10 Posts: 5
    edited April 2017

Hello,

my fake2.service at exercise 4.2 looks like the below:

----------------------------

[Unit]

Description=fake2

After=network.target

[Service]

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c ’/bin/echo I am starting the fake2 service ; /bin/sleep 30’

ExecStop=/bin/echo I am stopping the fake2 service

[Install]

WantedBy=multi-user.target

-------------------------------------

If you get any error when you start the service(sudo systemctl start fake2.service), try to change the 

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c ’/bin/echo I am starting the fake2 service ; /bin/sleep 30’  

to 

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "/bin/echo I am starting the fake2 service ; /bin/sleep 30"

Regards,

zoomm10

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    edited April 2017

you don't give enough detail to provide much help.  What commands did you run?  Where did you look to see if it ran?  What output do you have?  Also note the script in the solutions is not the same; the ExecStart line looks like:

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c '/bin/echo I am starting the fake2 service ; /bin/sleep 30'

be careful cutting and pasting because the apostrophes don't always come through correctly.

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,152
    edited April 2017

Hi,

What distro and version are you working with?

Are you getting any specific error?

Thanks,

Luis.

• silver2row
    silver2row Posts: 29
    edited April 2017

Hello Again...I am sorry for the lack of info. I am running Ubuntu 16.04.2/4.4.0-72-generic. It is the LTS version. I will run it again and let you know. Please bear with me here. I will be right back!

• silver2row
    edited April 2017

I used the sudo chmod 755 ​command in the shell to attempt to get the fake2.service going. It worked, but it was saying it could not resolve host, well after I disregarded the prompt of ​sudo: could not resolve host (my host name). I then went on to ​sudo systemctl start fake2.service​. The could not resolve host prompt (error message) was stated again when I used the command ​sudo systemctl status fake2.service​. After the command status​, I received a read-out. There was no error message. I then used the command stop. I rebooted and then ran the command status​ again. It read another item of read-outs. That is all. I think I got this one figured out. The systemd system is what I am using. I did not try the SysVinit system.

• luisviveropena
    edited May 2017

Hi,

Ok, no problem. Just be sure to get information about the error. If you are having errors like 'could not resolve host (my host name)', you need to check the system hostname and see if it's working.

Regards,

Luis.

• silver2row

Hello...I am having an error that states "could not resolve host" and it does not do anything but state that error. I can still update and upgrade for security patches and things of that nature.

• luisviveropena
    edited May 2017

Hi,

What happens if you execute the 'hostname' command?

Thanks,

Luis.

• silver2row
    edited May 2017

Hello...it prints out my hostname.

• luisviveropena
    edited May 2017

Hello,

1) Do 'journalctl -f' in a terminal, while in another run the systemd command. Provide the journalctl ouput.

2) Please provide a screenshot with the error when running the systemd command.

Thanks,

Luis.

• silver2row
    edited May 2017

Hello...I cannot post a screenshot for some reason. The picture addition icon will only let me post hyperlinks. 

• silver2row
    edited May 2017

• luisviveropena
    edited June 2017

Hello,

You can use https://snag.gy or any other application to upload and share the image.

Thanks,

Luis.

• silver2row
    edited June 2017

I am starting from scratch. I will keep you updated if I come across another issue. 

• luisviveropena
    edited June 2017

Ok, no problem. If you have any issue and you need help, please be sure to provide evidence of it.

Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training