Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Labs 2, 3 and 4 - DevStack Liberty Release removed

serewicz
serewicz Posts: 1,000

The OpenStack community has removed the Liberty release of the software, which is the release we use for lab 2, 3 and 4. We are working on getting access to the software, and updating labs to work with the Newton release. 

The Newton release uses Neutron networking, which affects our current lab infrastructure and can prevent the Horizon BUI from being available. I encourage you to experiment with newer versions and troubleshoot using logs and terminal output until a solution or update can be implemented. 

Please check back as we will be posting updates as they become available. 

Regards,

Comments

• josemaesmor
    josemaesmor Posts: 10
    edited December 2016

Hi, Serewicz.

Openstack have modified nova repository into liberty release to the master-stable and now the git reference is different.

Please, change step 2 in Task 4 inside 2 lab to :

ubuntu@devstack-cc:~$ git clone https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack.git

This channeling directly to the LIBERTY release.

Take care and Merry Xmas.

• serewicz
    edited December 2016

josemaesmor, thank you very much for looking into this!  Sadly the branch is still referenced by stack.sh git, but when you try to run the command you will get an error like this, nothing in the project repos:

2016-12-26 23:57:46.870 | + timeout -s SIGINT 0 git clone git://git.openstack.org/openstack/keystone.git /opt/stack/keystone 2016-12-26 23:57:46.871 | Cloning into '/opt/stack/keystone'... 2016-12-26 23:57:59.321 | + cd /opt/stack/keystone 2016-12-26 23:57:59.321 | + git checkout stable/liberty 2016-12-26 23:57:59.323 | error: pathspec 'stable/liberty' did not match any file(s) known to git. 2016-12-26 23:57:59.323 | + exit_trap

Have you been able to get it to work?  I've tried it a couple of ways, and even looked around github with no luck. Please, this would save me so much time, if you can get it to work and install Liberty.

Merry Christmas! Thank you!

• Hi, Serewicz.

Yesterday i completed exercises 3.1 , 3.2 and 3.3, but basically i worked with the lab 2.1, with the local file defined in lab2.1. Installed all and recreated 3 labs with this environment. The pool of 3 labs is not working correctly due of that keystone reference (still using all references to old git link),All is running correctly with the new git reference. (less nova actions by developer1 user), if you ./unstack and ./clean, is not working at all too 3 labs, because is not cleaned all /opt/stack folder. Think all is related to the virtual pool you have created, and the update of ubuntu distribution. ( i cannot check another ones, because i have not rights).

reinstall from 2.1 lab one virtual server and added to the pool. surely it will works.

You welcome!!

• josemaesmor
    edited December 2016

Hi, Serewicz.

Yesterday i completed exercises 3.1 , 3.2 and 3.3, but basically i worked with the lab 2.1, with the local file defined in lab2.1. Installed all and recreated 3 labs with this environment. The pool of 3 labs is not working correctly due of that keystone reference (still using all references to old git link),All is running correctly with the new git reference. (less nova actions by developer1 user), if you ./unstack and ./clean, is not working at all too 3 labs, because is not cleaned all /opt/stack folder. Think all is related to the virtual pool you have created, and the update of ubuntu distribution. ( i cannot check another ones, because i have not rights).

reinstall from 2.1 lab one virtual server and added to the pool. surely it will works.

You welcome!!

• serewicz
    edited December 2016

Hello again,

I am not sure if I understand that you were able to get things working. Do you not get the error about liberty being unavailable, or are you saying you are using Newton release instead. In that case everything but neutron should be working. I am close to the update to the lab but need to do more testing before release.

Could you offer specifics, you were not able to get keystone or Nova to work, but other components did work? Are you using liberty, which I cannot find any ongoing software, or newton?

Thank you!

• josemaesmor
    edited December 2016

hi again.

i will repeat today 3.2 and next ones with your virtual server. Any things i will find will send to you instead finish all 3 lab exercises. ok?

Merry Xmas.

• josemaesmor
    edited December 2016

hi, Serewicz.

All working in lab 2.1. Failures in nova like your one have been resolved using the updated git link of liberty release posted in openstack. (link i sent to you).

Exercises 3.1 lab not working. I have used one terminal of lab 2.1. and added all network and services not assigned in lab 3.1 to user developer1 for fulfill all questions of lab 3.1( i can send you screenshots of all).

Today i have tried lab 3.2. No way in  compute node and devstack-cc server instance. i have logs of all. In devstack-cc instance, the worlddump-2016-12-27-230102.txt i have generated shows nothing configured, with the ./local.conf of server.

With the compute-node, halt installation into c-api cinder. Normally this is related (based in openstack forums) to the ENABLED_SERVICES directory, who needs cinder included.

For now, the only server devstack-cc instance i have installed correctly OpenStack Liberty is based on Lab 2.1. Yesterday i have configured correctly proyects, add users and started instances based in network configured, in the dashboard.

If you want i can send you logs of all and screenshots of dashboard.

Tomorrow will follow with exercises lab 3.3. Maybe will try in the future Exercise 3.2. with server devstack-cc instance of lab 2.1, installing all and configuring one compute-node.

Best Regards

• serewicz
    edited December 2016

josemaesmor,

Very happy you were able to get some things working. Even if you have issues the work your doing will teach you a lot about OpenStack. For the years I've been working with it there have been many growing pains. The more you troubleshoot and explore the stronger your skills will be. 

Thanks!

• josemaesmor
    edited December 2016

Thanks for our answers in the forum. That's the reason i'm here, strong skills in openstack and certificate one of these days.

Good luck with the preparation of Newton labs! 

• yemisishobowale
    yemisishobowale Posts: 11
    edited January 2017

Hi Serewicz.

Following josemaesmor's instructions above to start from lab 2.1 and use the git clone address that points to liberty release:

ubuntu@devstack-cc:~$ git clone https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack.git

I was able to access the Horizon BUI successfully!!!

This is a relief after several attempts and failures in December with the previous clone address.

Thanks!

• serewicz
    edited January 2017

It seems some of the stable/liberty software has been returned. But not all. So the install will probably still fail. 

I just finished updating all the devstack labs to run on Newton, we are now testing to ensure it works. 

• mabarkdoll
    mabarkdoll Posts: 1
    edited January 2017

Good, neutron should be given in labs since it is the more appropriate deployment.  No labs working = unhappy customer :(

• marcindulak
    marcindulak Posts: 4
    edited January 2017

Lab 2.1 problems (liberty):

1. apache does not start (not installed by ./stack.sh)

2. the following fails with "error: pathspec 'stable/liberty' did not match any file(s) known to git."

./unstack.sh

sudo apt-get install apache2

sudo -rf /etc/apache2/sites-enabled

./stack.sh

References:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1216333

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36530744/openstack-horizon-issues-not-starting-up

Any estimates when the labs become available?

• soosgyul
    soosgyul Posts: 15
    edited January 2017

Hi. I just started to follow the course yesterday, and I got really annoyed with myself that I can't follow a simple tutorial. :)

Now it kinda became obvious, that it wasn't just my fault. However I don't understand if it has been fixed or not.

After a few stack, destack, clan, folder removes and clones, now I get this error. I don't know if it is because I broke it, or it's because it should be broken at this stage?

UPDATE:

Apparently the test environment has resetted itself and now I started lab 2 from the beginning.

I have installed the stable/newton version, which finally finished and was able to read all those values that I was supposed to. 

Happy days! :D

• gannan
    gannan Posts: 1

Hi, how did you get lab 2 to work ? Are you using the following git command:

ubuntu@devstack-cc:~/devstack$ git clone https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack.git

• soosgyul
    edited January 2017

git clone https://git.openstack.org/openstack-dev/devstack -b stable/newton

however, even if you can install this, there are many places where the labs are different from what you got from this. For example, I could not finish lab 3.1 at all.

• soosgyul
    edited January 2017

I really hope, that we'll get some updated, and properly working labs any day now. I'm stuck here, and I won't be able to finish my course before it expires in april. I finally had a week, when I didn't had any uni work, and I pretty much wasted al of it, on debugging and realising that the labs and the available resources are really out of date. :(

• yemisishobowale
    yemisishobowale Posts: 11
    edited January 2017

As you rightly pointed, the liberty release recommended by josemaesmor is not fully functional and I was unable to complete all the lab exercises. Some of the issues were related to the networking set up in the release.

It is frustrating following a course with no working labs. This has taken too much of my time since December, when I first observed the issues and we do have a deadline to complete the course.

• bike2wrk
    bike2wrk Posts: 14
    edited January 2017

Have you received an update on the status of the labs?  I am stuck on task #5 in lab 2.1, I cannot access Horizon.  

• serewicz
    edited January 2017

I have heard from the infrastructure team is working on the issue and the new labs will be deployed soon. I have not heard an exact date or time for the rollout but it is on its way soon.

Regards,

• dalym1234
    dalym1234 Posts: 6
    edited February 2017

Hi these labs have been unavailable for more than a month.  I don't think this is acceptable for a paid course.  Do you have any plans for compensating students who have essentially paid for something they can't use.?

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    edited February 2017

Hi:

Our team is hard at work on this, the rug got pulled out from under them by upstream without notice, and they first tried to make quick fixes which passed initial tests but in the end were deficient.  So they have had to work hard on a complete and proper update that will last for a long time.

As far as compensation, yes there will be plans announced soon.  It is not students fault obviously.  

I just want to say that fixing this has taken time not due to inattention or lack of resources.  It's just a bitch to fix and get it all right.  We have had instructor led versions of the course with very similar labs (LFS452) go off smoothly through this period when there is an instructor available in real time to help debug all of this and it has even been a good learning exercise.  But for self-guided students this is much more serious to deal with.  We are really doing our best.

Jerry Cooperstein

Director of Training, LInux Foundation

• Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the update.  Please let us know as soon as possible when there are working early labs.  I went ahead and skipped early labs - I'm working successfully on Lab 11 now, but I really don't have the foundation of knowledge that I would like.

Cheers and good luck with the fixes!

• josemaesmor
    edited February 2017

Ok, Noted. Thanks for the info.

Please, report when all have been finished.

BR

• I just managed to get lab 2 started after some problems with the web client.

I'd also like to know when this lab env will be available again. I would have expected an email to all registered users of the course tbh. Please can I be notified by email when the lab is available for use

• dalym1234
    dalym1234 Posts: 6
    edited February 2017

Is it possible to have a firm date for when we can expect them restored.  It is now 2 months and other than vague "it will be fixed soon", there has been no firm information.  I don't think this is acceptable, especially for a paid resource that people are relying on to prepare for examinations.  Surely a regular update should be provided until such times as the labs are restored.

• Trukise
    Trukise Posts: 4

one month ago from last info, any update? please

• davecore
    davecore Posts: 2
    edited March 2017

I just bought this course and am now seeing that the labs don't work and that it's been like this for a while... Any ideas when this will be fixed?

• david.c
    david.c Posts: 1
    edited March 2017

Not a great advert for the future.

Just a thought, why not create a local git repo with the rerquired software??

• laceth110
    laceth110 Posts: 2
    edited March 2017

I started on the labs this month and all git repository for devstack either work once, like a hit or miss or never . When are the labs going to be ready and why not use a local git instead of everytime getting it from the internet ?

Also will you be giving us more time to complete the labs since you have not had it ready when i purchased this course lab for the ONF test ?

Categories

Upcoming Training