Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 3.1

Options

I am using the lastest version of Fedora in a Virtual Box. Once, I press "e" during the boot process, I do not see any line where I can append 3 to boot in non-graphical mode.

Can someone help me out?

Comments

• MarcNC
    MarcNC Posts: 4
    Options
    sorry about the typo. I meant "latest" of course
  • coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options
    Make sure your keyboard is being captured by VirtualBox; does it work at all?
    Can you navigate up and down to pick different kernels? IF so thats fine, I am misunderstanding whether you can edit at all.

Once you get in you have to edit aline that has root=... for the kernel you are choosing. On a redhat/fedora type system, that should be a line that starts with
    linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-....... This line will be followed by a line that starts with initrd16 ...
    (Depending on distro and version it might be linux or initrd, not linux16 or initrd16

• MarcNC
    Options
    coop wrote:
    Make sure your keyboard is being captured by VirtualBox; does it work at all?
    Can you navigate up and down to pick different kernels? IF so thats fine, I am misunderstanding whether you can edit at all.

Once you get in you have to edit aline that has root=... for the kernel you are choosing. On a redhat/fedora type system, that should be a line that starts with
    linux16 /boot/vmlinuz-....... This line will be followed by a line that starts with initrd16 ...
    (Depending on distro and version it might be linux or initrd, not linux16 or initrd16

Thank you. The keyboard works fine and I can navigate. I just can't find the /boot/vmlinuz line

I attached a screenshot
  • coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options
    the screenshot did not show up for some reason.

To get a better grasp, look at /boot/grub2/grub.cfg while the system is running and you should see the kernel command lines in there.
  • Elyas
    Elyas Posts: 28
    Options
    Maybe you are not doing it right.

In order to access GRUB bootloader do the following. It works in my case. Using Ubuntu in a Virtualbox on a Mac:

- when the Virtualbox starts with the start screen, press Shift and keep your mouse clicked on that screen. This should show you GRUB bootloader.
    - You should see the bootloader displaying some options to choose from. Often it looks like a normal boot option, a rescue boot option and maybe one or two Memtest options. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the option you want to choose.
    - Press 'e' key on that option and you should see a screen with some command lines.
    - That is where you can modify the boot options.

Please let us know if it worked for you.
  • MarcNC
    Options
    Problem solved. It had to do with my Virtual Box boot order that nest a bunch of If and else statements and therefore kind of made it hard to find the right line with root and vmlinuz. I appended 3 after the Fedora version and the x86 and it worked. Thank you all!

Great community. Long live the Linux Foundation and big thanks to Dr. Cooperstein, Elyas and everyone else at Linux

Categories

Upcoming Training