Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

PSI browser latency problems - Awfull experience - CKAD exam

Options
inigokintana
inigokintana Posts: 2
edited November 2023 in LFD259 Class Forum

I took the CKAD exam last monday May 16/2023 and yesterday May 20/2023 from Spain with a very good fiber service.

The experience with the exam was awfull both days with continuous latency problems on the PSI browser:

• in the vim editor , problem to recognize esc and :
  • writing k run pod ... appearing 5 seconds after writing it
  • copy pastes puting odd characters inside vim even though i did :set paste before
  • any random key suddenly writting gggggggggggggggg or hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh like crazy during lines and lines ... messing all the work I was doing in the VIM editor
    unresposive mouse clicks simply to scroll up & down on the k create ingress name -h options in the terminal

• I did complain to proctors but they were just saying open a ticket on IT

• All these ruined my exam, I failed

I took KillerShell both practices and the Katakoda free ones, several times, where there are no latency problems, the contents are accurate and the working experience is nice and you can have with a big screen monitor with your laptop. In fact KillerShell practices are harder, in terms of knowledge, than the real exam on PSI browser.

Come on, I am an experience IT guy used to work with remote shells, and It was imposible to complete the exam for me. I have worker with servers in South/North America even China behind the "Great Firewall" and the unseen latency experienced specially yesterday was ruining any changes to do a successful exam. I failed.

I do not care about CKAD my real goal is CKA but I am not going to take it meanwhile these latency problems with PSI browser are gone.

Please consider to have properly dimensioned infra in Europe for the PSI browser.

As mentioned before KillerShell and Katakoda are all fine, but the PSI browser sucks. Besides, many of us may be working from laptop, and not being able to have a decent big screen with the PSI Browser, makes the exam a battle against no proper technical conditions and not testing the K8S knowledge.

Comments

• christianhoerl
    christianhoerl Posts: 2
    edited July 2023
    Options

I can confirm the same bad exam experience during my CKS exam on Saturday, 1st of July 2023 performed through PSI Secure Browser.

There were 3 tools I used in the remote desktop and all of them had lag:
    1. Firefox Browser for kubernetes documentation
    Scrolling was very slow and twice a "scroll-action" "hung" and a very long article in k8s documetation did not stop to scroll all the way down.

1. Mousepad text editor to save and edit some code snippets
      Copying and pasting was slow

2. Terminal for SSH and bash
      Very often my commands hung while typing for example "kubectl getttttttttttttt" and could only be stopped by "ctrl+c".
      Further while using vi editor copying and pasting and typing was so laggy that sometimes simple keystrokes took 1-2 seconds.

My experience during the last years:

• I did my CKA in August 2021 still on the old environment on my private local browser which went great
    • I did my CKAD in November 2022 on the new PSI remote environment and the lag was already there and I had a bad experience
    • Now in July 2023 I did my CKS and this time the experience was the worst ever.

I am a professional IT engineer with 20 years of experience on Linux and other OS and I am very disappointed that such an experience of remote desktop issues made the exam extra complicated by losing time, having to repeat commands.

Even if I already was sure about the particular solution of a task or question, I could not complete it as quickly as I wanted due to the PSI browser.

For preparation I trained on the killer.sh exam simulator and the performance of it was good. Not perfect, but acceptable.

I must say, that I do not blame PSI browser for me not passing the exam in the first try (I have to study a bit more and will try again), but I will not attend any certification again which uses PSI secure browser technology.

• mark.kharitonov
    Options

I concur. What a piece of garbage. So much time lost that no one is going to return.

• mario76eder
    Options

I had the same problems during my exam this monday. Terrible lags and really poor performance during exam. No problems at killer.sh test environmentalso, which is similar to exam environment. Expected you have to use chrome and not the psi browser. I opened also a ticket, they wrote they can not see any problems on exam side infra. I suggest that I can troubleshoot the issues together with the support outside of an real exam situation, to understand why this happens and if its a problem from psi- or my Infrastructur. Because it makes no sense to repeat session, if such performancelags can again occur. I wait for the answear since yesterday.

• mstepien
    mstepien Posts: 422
    Options

Hi @mario76eder,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. Did you open your ticket with the Linux Foundation Customer Support team at trainingsupport.linuxfoundation.org?

Thank you,
    Magda

• peijinwu
    Options

I post a ticket to them, 2 days ago, not any response, feel sad for that

• parashar1505
    Options

So so so sad! I would wait for them to have a better exam environment before buying any voucher.

• bajoben
    bajoben Posts: 1
    Options

the PSI browser is just pain - its absolutely not possible to act like you do when preparing for the exam. There must be an improvement.

• daniel.do
    daniel.do Posts: 1
    Options

It's bad experience for my first try. It's very slow and lag

Categories

Upcoming Training