Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 3.2 - Step 20 - persistent volumes are in pending state

I tried to create a local docker registry based on Lab 3.2 - step 20 and when I try to see the status of the created one, both the peristentvolumes are not bound and it is in pending status. Pods for nginx-* and registry-* in pending status

Found the below error message for Persistent volume claim

Normal FailedBinding 14s (x20 over 4m47s) persistentvolume-controller no persistent volumes available for this claim and no storage class is set
student@master:/localdocker$ Normal FailedBinding 14s (x20 over 4m47s) persistentvolume-controller no persistent volumes available for this claim and no storage class is set.

For Pods
pod/registry-7ccd695dc7-gptm7 : running "VolumeBinding" filter plugin for pod "registry-7ccd695dc7-gptm7": pod has unbound immediate PersistentVolumeClaim

Can somebody help me on this? Thank you

Comments

• serewicz
    serewicz Posts: 1,000

Hello,

Typically this indicates a missed step or two. Most folks miss the NFS steps and registry steps on the worker. Easiest is to work backwards. What is the state of vol1 and vol2?

Is NFS working on the worker node? Is the registry?

Regards,

• I'm running into this issue too. Read through the whole chapter 3 labs but am missing the NFS steps.
    Where should these be?

• Hi @linuxfoundationdoxsys,

If you examine carefully step 10 of lab 3.2 you will find the instructions with yaml manifests to create the required persistent volumes for your registry.

If you deploy the registry application more than once, the volumes will not allow for new binds, so you will need to redeploy the two volumes and the registry for everything to work as expected.

NFS can be found in a later chapter.

Regards,
    -Chris

• linuxfoundationdoxsys
    edited December 2020

Hi Chris,

thanks that make things clearer. I thought I followed every step pretty precisely.
    So I did deploy multiple time due to some troubleshooting.

PS. removing the volumes and going through all the steps now makes it work!

Thanks Niels

• @chrispokorni

If you deploy the registry application more than once, the volumes will not allow for new binds, so you will need to redeploy the two volumes and the registry for everything to work as expected.

Can you explain why please?

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155
    edited May 2021

Hi @bendubuisson,

The persistentVolumeReclaimPolicy: Retain property found in the yaml manifest defining the PV, defines the lifecycle of the PV once it is released by the PVC. A value of Retain will not allow the PV to immediately enter into another binding with a PVC.

You can find out more by exploring the PV and PVC documentation.

Regards,
    -Chris

Categories

Upcoming Training