Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

What are the prerequisite nodes / VMs for lab 3.1

dwschulze
dwschulze Posts: 4
edited March 2018 in LFS258 Class Forum

Lab 3.1 assumes that you have "nodes" available.  It sounds like these are Ubuntu VMs on GCP.  Is this correct, and how many Ubuntu VMs should I have allocated for the lab?

Comments

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,144
    edited March 2018

Hi, just like with any other clustered technology, Kubernetes' terminology may sound a bit confusing at first, but it does not take long to get used to. You are correct in assuming that the nodes are in fact Ubuntu VMs, which for the purpose of these labs have been set up on GCP. I have the same setup, because I followed the instructions in the labs, however, I may try to complete these labs in AWS as well, just to see how the 2 cloud providers compare.

For the labs, you need 2 Ubuntu VMs - at the minimum: the first is the master node, and the second is the worker node. I started off the same, with 2 nodes (master and worker), but as I progressed with the labs I added 2 extra worker nodes - 2 extra Ubuntu VMs, having a cluster of 1 master and 3 worker nodes - to better understand workload distribution across the nodes in my cluster.

Hope this helps to get you started.

Good luck!

-Chris

• serewicz
    serewicz Posts: 1,000
    edited March 2018

Hello,

In the overview section of lab 3 there is a section which mentions that the labs will use two instances. The lab should run in several different environments, but was tested using 2vCPU, 7,6G memory instances spun up on Google Compute Platform. Both installed with Ubuntu 16.04.  What little testing I have done with VirtualBox and AWS Ubuntu nodes showed the labs worked the same way. 

Please let us know if you have further questions the overview does not explain.

Regards,

Categories

Upcoming Training