Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

How much does this course depend on kubeadm

Options
dwschulze
dwschulze Posts: 4
edited March 2018 in LFS258 Class Forum

Section 3.8 on Installing with kubeadm seems like somebody's working notes.  It refers you to the kubernetes web site for setting up a cluster with kubeadm.  That section refers you elsewhere for installing kubeadm, but the instructions for installing kubeadm on Ubuntu are just wrong.

I was able to get kubeadm installed, but the installation page says something about kubectl running in a crash loop waiting for kubeadm ???  But I see no kubectl process running.

Section 3.8 says to Run kubeadm init on the head node.  What is a head node?  Am I supposed to be running kubeadm on my laptop or was I supposed to set up a VM in the Google cloud to be the head node?

What is going on here?

Comments

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,904
    edited March 2018
    Options

Chapter 3 talks about the many different ways one can use to install Kubernetes (such as using GKE, Minikube, kubeadm, etc.), and then it goes in detail, step-by-step, through the installation process in lab 3.1. 

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,165
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi, Lab 3.1 gives step by step instruction on updating your master (head) node - your first Ubuntu VM, installing Docker and Kubernetes, initializing your cluster with kubeadm, and a few post-install verification steps. Lab 3.2 starts by giving step by step instructions on updating your worker node - your second Ubuntu VM, installing Docker and Kubernetes, adding the worker node to the cluster with kubeadm, and then it walks you thru your first nginx deployment on the cluster. 

I do not remember having any issues when I setup my cluster following these instructions in labs 3.1 and 3.2.

Good luck!

-Chris

• serewicz
    serewicz Posts: 1,000
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hello,

The kubeadm command is one of many ways to get Kubernetes installed. It is vendor-independent, unlike several of the other methods. While it is still in beta the community support would indicate it will become the prefered choice for installation.  Not all installation tools will configure a multi-node cluster typical to what one would find in a production environment. While good for gettings started with Kubernetes, they don't have the same features as kubeadm. Regardless of the cluster installation tool you should be able to use kubectl to manage the cluster once it is running. 

The lab for exercise 3 uses kubeadm to get a two instance cluster running, then uses kubectl to configure a network solution to connect the nodes and Pods. 

Regards,

Categories

Upcoming Training