Welcome to the new Linux Foundation Forum!

Origin of Tux the Penguin Logo?

Hello, new bee here. I was wondering if anyone knows why a penguin was chosen as the Linux logo? I like Tux and think he's cool, but from a marketing standpoint, isn't a "flightless" bird kind of like a car company namning a new model "Impact"?

Maybe Linux Marketing can use a sloglan like,

"If your old OS doesn't fly and just sux,

switch to Linux and leave the flying to Tux."

Thank you. I'm here all week.

Comments

• mpalmerukmpalmeruk Posts: 26
    Hi,

it was something to do with Linus saying he liked penguins, I think he wrote about it in his book "Just for fun" as well.

this wiki article has the original post/debate:

http://www.sjbaker.org/wiki/index.php?title=The_History_of_Tux_the_Linux_Penguin

hope that helps

regards

Matt
  • flite2marsflite2mars Posts: 2
    Ah-so! Thank you, I read the link, very interesting! And yeah, he kind of does look like he just had a very good time with a female penguin, and a smoke and a nap too!

Thanks again!
  • marcmarc Posts: 647
    Nice readings, thanks for the links guys!

Regards
  • Goineasy9Goineasy9 Posts: 1,116
    Look at the 20th Anniversary story of Linux video on the front page it explains everything. Heh.
    Goineasy9 wrote:
    Look at the 20th Anniversary story of Linux video on the front page it explains everything. Heh.

Well, now that we are at it...

http://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/167-amanda-mcpherson/427944-celebrate-20-years-of-linux-with-us

Is the first page I've ever visited that fails to detect my flash player installation. Let's see if I can workaround it and get the video...

God, I hate this closed source binary apps grrrrrrrr

Regards
  • Goineasy9Goineasy9 Posts: 1,116
    There has to be something wrong with that link, I'm getting the missing plugin also.

This is the link it leads to:
    The video made me think of the old IBM comercial about linux. It was fantastic: