Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Portable Scanner

I'm looking for a portable scanner to use with my Asus EEE 1000.

I came across the below:

http://www.brookstone.com/sl/product/63761-iconvert-portable-document-photo-scanner.html

The box does not list it as working with Linux. However, one of the reviews (see below) said it did, as it scans as .JPEGs, which Linux can handle. It recognizes the scanner just like it would a camera. The enclosed software disc, however, won't work. But one can still download the .JPEG images:

http://www.amazon.com/VuPoint-Solutions-Portable-Scanner-PDS-ST410-VP/dp/B002R0BFAA/ref=pd_cp_e_0

(appears to be same scanner as above, packaged for Brookstone).

Is anyone familiar with this scanner? Had any good luck with it? Comments or other suggestions?

I'm looking for an ultra-portable scanner to using it on the road for work to scan paperwork. Size & weight are more important than extra features. One-at-a-time sheet-fed is OK. Sheet feeder not needed. Mostly for scanning B&W paperwork, not color photos. OCR & scanning to searchable PDF formats would be useful. AFAIK duplex scanning not a big need.

Thanks.

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Most scanners will work with Linux using the SANE/XSane tools and drivers. Try installing the iscan packages. It works for me quite well, and I have a scanner with document feeder.
  • stighjort
    stighjort Posts: 1
    How to finde driver, etc fore hp scanjet 2200c
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    1. See if HP has some Linux sane drivers on their web site for this.
    2. Go to #1.
    3. See if generic sane drivers on your distribution work.

• MarkWilliam
    MarkWilliam Posts: 1
    edited January 2017

I Agree with you ,Nice Question. 

• ffox
    ffox Posts: 15

Most scanners will work with Linux using the SANE/XSane tools and drivers. It works for me

Really "most scanners" do work? "Works for you" does not do much to corroborate that claim. In fact, a lot of (low cost) scanners do not and will not ever work in Linux.

Categories

Upcoming Training