Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Scanner utility in Linux to operate my scanner

jhaskins75
jhaskins75 Posts: 128

Oh Master geek, I need your help with this one. I have a all in one printer / fax / scan which i was able to download the supportive drivers from the manufacturers web site for Linux OS. The cups driver is working as I have been printing within the Linux environment for some time now. The problem is I can not get the scanner to function. I downloaded the required drivers for scanner operation and here is the puzzling part, after reading some articles relating to my problem. If I enter this command in my terminal, ' sudo scanimage > filename.pnm it will send a signal to my scanner and it operates. I downloaded the trial version of Vuescan, but it gives me a message that it cannot detect a scanner attached, and in it's read me file, it list my model as a scanner it's program supports. I want to know if I can incorporate the command I listed above into a scan utility program, like " XSane Image scan " or some of the other smaller utilities offered as programs. Vuescan says if I am using a newer version of Ubuntu to make sure I have this package installed and I entered that command in the terminal, but it said something to the effect it was obsolete. [ I embedded the text results within this question ]If you're using a newer version of Ubuntu Linux, you can install the needed version of libstdc++ with the command "sudo apt-get install libstdc++5". If you're using 64-bit Linux, you might also need to install "ia32-libs" and "ia32-libs-gtk". I cannot install the manufacturers files for my printer, as they are for Windows and they have the software interface / driver to operate the scanner, and the wine programming stops the install half way through. I tried to turn off the power and unplug method for recognition, but as I said earlier the Printer portion functions great, just need to get it to recognize my scanner.;) :unsure:

Comments

• jhaskins75
    # Brother scanners
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
    The make is: Brothers and the Model is MFC-240C
  • jramirez
    jramirez Posts: 2
    take a look at this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=423461

you can also follow these steps NOTE it is not for your particular model but you can download the drivers from brother and follow the step here:

http://opentrademark.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-to-install-brother-mfc-7340-ubuntu.html

let me know if you need any more assistance
  • jhaskins75
    Note: to test the scanner you have to open xsane as root

sudo xsane

edit: ( I havent tested yet so don't quote me on it )

This is the solution to use the scanner as normal user.

Ubuntu 9.10

1. Open "/lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules" file.
    2.Add the following two lines to the end of the device list. (Before the line "# The following rule will disable ..."): The lines to be added

# Brother scanners

3. Restart the OS.
    this is the same article I read and tried to enter the commands in my terminal window, which I probably screwed up trying to interped the exact input. My question on the above statements are....How do you set Sane as root? [ When I open my xsane scanner program, it is recognizing my web cam as the camera/scanner, and when i disconnect the web cam, the xsane program will not open ] How do I open "/lib/udev/rules etc....?Are they referring to lines in the 2 sentences and what is the device list. is it what will be displayed after entering the open command? I feel so damn stupid here, cause if I take my time, I can figure this thing out. It's not rocket science, I am just so unfamiliar with the exact process.
  • jhaskins75
    jhaskins75 wrote:
    Note: to test the scanner you have to open xsane as root

sudo xsane

edit: ( I havent tested yet so don't quote me on it )

This is the solution to use the scanner as normal user.

Ubuntu 9.10

1. Open "/lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules" file.
    2.Add the following two lines to the end of the device list. (Before the line "# The following rule will disable ..."): The lines to be added

# Brother scanners

3. Restart the OS.
    this is the same article I read and tried to enter the commands in my terminal window, which I probably screwed up trying to interped the exact input. My question on the above statements are....How do you set Sane as root? [ When I open my xsane scanner program, it is recognizing my web cam as the camera/scanner, and when i disconnect the web cam, the xsane program will not open ] How do I open "/lib/udev/rules etc....?Are they referring to lines in the 2 sentences and what is the device list. is it what will be displayed after entering the open command? I feel so damn stupid here, cause if I take my time, I can figure this thing out. It's not rocket science, I am just so unfamiliar with the exact process.

john822@john822-desktop:~$ sudo xsane
    [sudo] password for john822:
    /usr/share/themes/Dust/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:356: Invalid symbolic color 'selected_fg_color'
    /usr/share/themes/Dust/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:356: error: invalid identifier `selected_fg_color', expected valid identifier
    john822@john822-desktop:~$

I got a serious warning trying to run xsane as root. It said to attempt would be very dangerous and do it at my own risk
  • jhaskins75
    Damn it. I took the freaking chance and ran xsane as root and " WHAM " back in the saddle again, my brother. It immediately reconized my MFC 240c all in one printer. I pressed the preview button and the scanner engaged and a image appeared. It was tough going there for awhile and I kept hearing the phase, ' Houston, we got a problem ', but what the hell, You live to die and the best that could happen is, my system would have died. Like that never happened to me, ' Right ' I will hit you back when I am ready to go on another adventure into the unknown.......Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • jhaskins75
    Got a little too happy. It seems that when I access the program xsane, by default, it reconizes my web cam first. It will only reconize my scanner when I must use the root command in the terminal to start the program. which means, this is the only way to do it and one more problem. After I save the image to file as a png to my document folder, when I attempt to open it, the icon image contained shows a lock sign. I go to permissions inside of properties and it says I do not have permission to change the setting, cause I am not the owner???? I wonder who the He%% is the owner, if not me. Jezz. If it is not one thing, it's another...I will just have to carry on and seek further into the root and find this other ghost owner and kill him. [ Ha,Ha,Ha ]
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Did you add your user to the scanner group?
  • jhaskins75
    Now, oh great one. I just learned how to do this. I think I will have to go to device manger and do it there???? were is the users group located? ' Systems' ? I need to delete that freaking web cam file, I know that. But I will patiently await your cherished advice!
  • XSane works great in Mandriva 2008. No sudu [intellectual] installation needed...
  • jhaskins75
    Never ending saga. I still have to use sudo xsane for the program to open recognizing my scanner. After tweeking some setting to 200dpi, I finally got a clear scan. Now here is the twist. First, the email feature sucks, but that's Ok, and now, I want to save it to document folder or Picture, based on the file type, which I use png, the image file is always locked and I went to my systems folder and changed every category to enable me as the administrator, but still the folder / files have this 'X' next to it. So I right click it, open it, go to the permissions tab, and everything is greyed out, telling me that I do not have permission, cause I am not the owner, weather it be in the Root or my administrator name, John822. I am trying so damn hard to not go back and forward to Windows, when I know linux can do these functions with a little tweeking. here is an image of my problem... [file name=Screenshot_6.png size=44658]http://www.linux.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/Screenshot_6.png[/file]
  • jhaskins75
    262nudt.png
    I just need to know how to be the administrator /owner so I can view my saved documents with this xsane scanner program.
  • vtel57
    vtel57 Posts: 164
    John,

What Linux distribution are you using? It looks like your regular user does not have scanner group permissions.
  • jhaskins75
    Sorry for the response delay. I feil asleep. I believe you mean, ubuntu 9.10 gnome
  • jhaskins75
    here is a list of commands I have obtained through the help directory which I am studying in detail so as to bring me up to speed. Which one of these commands should I use to make me the primary owner to all files or the .sane program?
    There was another command I entered which showed all files / programs under my administrator name. All the file and program information showed me to be both the owner as well as the group administrator. I did not see a specific file for scanner or the file I said was locked. I am assuming that those files which showed to be locked are within the complete file menu as well as my scanner being associated with .sane. I deleted the program ' Vuescan ' after their support technician stated it does not work with Brothers printers, even though the site list my model as being supported.
    :laugh:
    Change the owner and/or group of each FILE to OWNER and/or GROUP.
    With --reference, change the owner and group of each FILE to those of RFILE.

-c, --changes like verbose but report only when a change is made
    --dereference affect the referent of each symbolic link (this is
    the default), rather than the symbolic link itself
    -h, --no-dereference affect each symbolic link instead of any referenced
    file (useful only on systems that can change the
    ownership of a symlink)
    --from=CURRENT_OWNER:CURRENT_GROUP
    change the owner and/or group of each file only if
    its current owner and/or group match those specified
    here. Either may be omitted, in which case a match
    is not required for the omitted attribute.
    --no-preserve-root do not treat `/' specially (the default)
    --preserve-root fail to operate recursively on `/'
    -f, --silent, --quiet suppress most error messages
    --reference=RFILE use RFILE's owner and group rather than
    specifying OWNER:GROUP values
    -R, --recursive operate on files and directories recursively
    -v, --verbose output a diagnostic for every file processed

The following options modify how a hierarchy is traversed when the -R
    option is also specified. If more than one is specified, only the final
    one takes effect.

-H if a command line argument is a symbolic link
    to a directory, traverse it
    -L traverse every symbolic link to a directory
    encountered
    -P do not traverse any symbolic links (default)

--help display this help and exit
    --version output version information and exit

Owner is unchanged if missing. Group is unchanged if missing, but changed
    to login group if implied by a `:' following a symbolic OWNER.
    OWNER and GROUP may be numeric as well as symbolic.

Examples:
    chown root /u Change the owner of /u to "root".
    chown root:staff /u Likewise, but also change its group to "staff".
    chown -hR root /u Change the owner of /u and subfiles to "root".

Report chown bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org
    GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/&gt;
    General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/&gt;
    Report chown translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/&gt;
    john822@john822-desktop:~$ chown [option]... --reference=rfile file
    chown: failed to get attributes of `rfile': No such file or directory
    :(
  • jhaskins75
    jhaskins75 wrote:
    here is a list of commands I have obtained through the help directory which I am studying in detail so as to bring me up to speed. Which one of these commands should I use to make me the primary owner to all files or the .sane program?
    There was another command I entered which showed all files / programs under my administrator name. All the file and program information showed me to be both the owner as well as the group administrator. I did not see a specific file for scanner or the file I said was locked. I am assuming that those files which showed to be locked are within the complete file menu as well as my scanner being associated with .sane. I deleted the program ' Vuescan ' after their support technician stated it does not work with Brothers printers, even though the site list my model as being supported.
    :laugh:
    Change the owner and/or group of each FILE to OWNER and/or GROUP.
    With --reference, change the owner and group of each FILE to those of RFILE.

-c, --changes like verbose but report only when a change is made
    --dereference affect the referent of each symbolic link (this is
    the default), rather than the symbolic link itself
    -h, --no-dereference affect each symbolic link instead of any referenced
    file (useful only on systems that can change the
    ownership of a symlink)
    --from=CURRENT_OWNER:CURRENT_GROUP
    change the owner and/or group of each file only if
    its current owner and/or group match those specified
    here. Either may be omitted, in which case a match
    is not required for the omitted attribute.
    --no-preserve-root do not treat `/' specially (the default)
    --preserve-root fail to operate recursively on `/'
    -f, --silent, --quiet suppress most error messages
    --reference=RFILE use RFILE's owner and group rather than
    specifying OWNER:GROUP values
    -R, --recursive operate on files and directories recursively
    -v, --verbose output a diagnostic for every file processed

The following options modify how a hierarchy is traversed when the -R
    option is also specified. If more than one is specified, only the final
    one takes effect.

-H if a command line argument is a symbolic link
    to a directory, traverse it
    -L traverse every symbolic link to a directory
    encountered
    -P do not traverse any symbolic links (default)

--help display this help and exit
    --version output version information and exit

Owner is unchanged if missing. Group is unchanged if missing, but changed
    to login group if implied by a `:' following a symbolic OWNER.
    OWNER and GROUP may be numeric as well as symbolic.

Examples:
    chown root /u Change the owner of /u to "root".
    chown root:staff /u Likewise, but also change its group to "staff".
    chown -hR root /u Change the owner of /u and subfiles to "root".

Report chown bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org
    GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/&gt;
    General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/&gt;
    Report chown translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/&gt;
    john822@john822-desktop:~$ chown [option]... --reference=rfile file
    chown: failed to get attributes of `rfile': No such file or directory
    :(
    umask sets the default permissions for newly created files; it is usually 022. This default value means that the permissions of any new file you create (say, with the touch command) will be masked with this number. 022 hence excludes write permissions of group and of other. A umask of 006 would exclude read and write permissions of other, but would allow read and write of group. Try

umask
    touch <file1>
    ls -al <file1>
    umask 026
    touch <file2>
    ls -al <file2>

026 is probably closer to the kind of mask we like as an ordinary user. Check your /etc/profile file to see what umask your login defaults to, when, and also why. john822@john822-desktop:~$ umask
    john822@john822-desktop:~$ touch
    touch: missing file operand
    Try `touch --help' for more information.
    john822@john822-desktop:~$ touch </home/john822/pictures scanned image>
    bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
    john822@john822-desktop:~$ touch <scanned image>
    bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
    john822@john822-desktop:~$ touch scanned image
    john822@john822-desktop:~$ ls -al scanned image
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 0 2010-03-30 15:35 image
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 0 2010-03-30 15:35 scanned
    john822@john822-desktop:~$ umask026
    umask026: command not found
    I found out one thing very important! when you receive information on how to do things, your first perception is create exactly what you see. Example: each piece of information viewed so far to me in visual detail uses these symbols <>[ ] etc. and I have duplicated them to enter the command necessary for action and it impeded me and left me questioning if I was doing it right or as you suggested ' what distribution are you using ' and all along, not using those symbols got me to the next command. It is truly a learning curve. Karma, I do not want to keep bogging you down with a lot of typo inserts. as in the commands I have embedded for you to view from [ john822@john822-desktop:~$ touch scanned image ] is one of the files that denies me access to open to any program to edit/ read/print etc, even note pad refuses permission, note pad reads anything, I thought. So with this information, can you tell me how to grant permission to be able to read/write and view these type files and the ability to open them.
  • vtel57
    This is NOT the way that you should be doing this, John. Indiscriminately changing file permissions is NOT a good idea.

Please, from the very beginning, tell us what it is you did and are trying to do here.
  • jhaskins75
    Master geek. I needed to have my scanner working with in the Linux OS [ Ubuntu 9.10 ], so after downloading the necessary drivers for it to be recognized, I learned I needed a scan utility to access my scanner, which was Xsane. When I openned the program, it defaulted to my webcam as the optical device. I disconnected the webcam and the program refused to open. I researched and found a command [ sudo sane ] which open the xsane program to root, which I received a ' dangerous to do warning, preceed at your own risk ' and I did, and the program opened with a option window showing both my webcam setup as well as my brother MFC-240C all in one printer, which I checked the MFC option. After scanning an image and saving it to file, both 1 in my document folder and the other in my picture folder with both file associations as 'png'. I wanted to open the file for editing and viewing and noticed an ' X ' mark as well as a icon lock symbol attached to it. There are no other files accept those by way of scan that has this permission denial attached to it. All indication I have researched to date shows that I am the owner as well as group administrator and should have complete access, as well as control over my file viewing. I have come to just one conclusion, that maybe it is xsane and the type of file recognition that may be one of the problems, cause all applications I have used to view the file, states that it cannot recognize that particular file format. this is my best explanation. I hope this gives you better insight.:dry:
  • mfillpot
    John,
    Eric is correct changing the permissions can do more harm than good. What you need to focus on is finding the owner and group permissions applied to the scanner interface and the xsane application, then adding your user(s) to the group.
  • jhaskins75
    When I open the scanner interface, it has a file/save settings to default and when I close the operation, after using the sudo sane feature in my terminal, re-opening the program, it goes directly to the cam device and states, can not find scanner attached to system. were in the system can I find the listed scanner interface as well as .sane to make these changes?
  • jhaskins75
    bfjhaf.png
  • jhaskins75
    jhaskins75 wrote:
    bfjhaf.png
    As you see, this presently is the only way to start the program to directly access my scanner using the command ' sudo xsane ' If I try an access it from my desktop icon or taskbar icon, it opens to the web cam image application, not my scanner device....
  • jhaskins75
    Here is the complete list of file program ownerships.drwxr-xr-x 81 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-30 16:45 .
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2010-03-21 13:29 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 7606073 2010-03-29 02:12 -1.png
    drwx
    3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 16:25 .adobe
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-25 11:47 .ardour2
    drwxr-xr-x 4 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-25 11:49 .audacity-data
    -rw
    1 root root 134 2010-03-16 14:41 .bash_history
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 220 2010-03-16 12:29 .bash_logout
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 3180 2010-03-16 12:29 .bashrc
    drwx
    2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 13:42 .bogofilter
    drwxr-xr-x 4 john822 john822 4096 2009-06-17 22:06 brscan2-src-0.2.5-1
    drwx
    8 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-27 14:22 .cache
    drwxr-xr-x 10 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 21:30 Chief Architect X2 Trial Version Data
    drwx
    3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 15:26 .compiz
    drwxr-xr-x 20 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-27 23:46 .config
    drwx
    2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-17 21:11 .cups
    drwxr-xr-x 7 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-28 15:09 .cxoffice
    drwx
    3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 13:39 .dbus
    drwxr-xr-x 3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-21 09:54 .designer
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-29 13:54 Desktop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 56 2010-03-29 21:29 .dmrc
    drwxr-xr-x 66 john822 john822 24576 2010-03-29 23:10 Documents
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-29 01:03 Downloads
    drwxr-xr-x 3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 15:27 .e
    drwx
    2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 17:55 .ecomp
    drwxrwxrwx 5 john822 john822 4096 2009-12-02 17:34 eet-1.2.3
    drwxr-x--- 2 root root 4096 2010-03-29 23:08 emailproject
    -rw
    1 john822 john822 16 2010-03-16 13:39 .esd_auth
    drwxr-xr-x 9 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-30 06:49 .evolution
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 167 2010-03-16 12:29 examples.desktop
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 18:12 .exchange
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 11440453 2010-03-29 06:31 filename.pnm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 1209649 2010-03-17 21:34 Firefox_wallpaper.png
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 22232 2010-03-18 23:52 first use.dxf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 22232 2010-03-18 23:54 first use.dxf chain link fence block diagram
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-25 03:51 .fontconfig
    drwxr-xr-x 3 john822 john822 4096 2010-02-18 16:09 FreemeteoWeather
    drwxr-xr-x 4 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-25 04:21 .freqtweak
    drwxr-xr-x 4 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-30 07:35 .gconf
    drwx
    2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-30 16:46 .gconfd
    drwx
    7 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-17 10:40 .gdesklets
    drwx
    4 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 20:07 .gegl-0.0
    drwxr-xr-x 22 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-29 22:57 .gimp-2.6
    -rw-r
    1 john822 john822 0 2010-03-29 23:26 .gksu.lock
    drwxr-xr-x 4 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-23 16:10 .gnome
    drwxr-xr-x 12 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-30 15:40 .gnome2
    drwx
    2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 13:39 .gnome2_private
    drwx
    3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-29 21:29 .gnupg
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-25 04:07 .gstreamer-0.10
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 147 2010-03-29 21:30 .gtk-bookmarks
    dr-x
    2 john822 john822 0 2010-03-29 21:29 .gvfs
    drwxr
    2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 17:42 .hplip
    drwxr-xr-x 3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-25 15:03 .hydrogen
    -rw
    1 john822 john822 9204 2010-03-30 13:16 .ICEauthority
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 21:02 .icons
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 0 2010-03-30 15:35 image
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 66 2010-03-25 11:47 .jackdrc
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-21 13:20 .jamin
    drwx
    6 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-27 23:53 .kde
    drwxr-xr-x 3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-30 13:16 .klamav
    drwxr-xr-x 5 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-25 03:54 lmms
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 981 2010-03-25 03:56 .lmmsrc.xml
    drwx
    3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 13:39 .local
    drwx
    3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 16:25 .macromedia
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 1878 2010-03-23 16:10 .mailcap
    drwxr-xr-x 11 john822 john822 4096 2008-05-22 11:49 mail-notification-5.4
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 7295 2010-03-23 16:10 .mime.types
    drwx
    3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-21 17:53 .mission-control
    drwxr-xr-x 5 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-23 15:55 .mozilla
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-21 17:37 .mplayer
    drwxr-xr-x 4 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 12:39 Music
    drwxr-xr-x 3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-21 14:13 My GCompris
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 13:39 .nautilus
    drwxr-xr-x 3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-23 15:55 .netscape
    drwxr-xr-x 3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 20:05 .openoffice.org
    drwxr-xr-x 19 john822 john822 16384 2010-03-30 16:45 Pictures
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 7606073 2010-03-29 02:12 .png
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 37 2010-03-16 17:42 .printer-groups.xml
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 675 2010-03-16 12:29 .profile
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 13:39 Public
    drwx
    2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-29 21:29 .pulse
    -rw
    1 john822 john822 256 2010-03-16 13:39 .pulse-cookie
    drwx
    6 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-30 16:27 .purple
    drwxr-xr-x 10 john822 john822 4096 2008-09-01 03:39 qcad-2.2.2.0-1-demo.linux.x86
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-25 16:41 .qt
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-29 22:57 .quiteinsane_gimp_plugin
    drwxr-xr-x 5 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-18 22:13 realtek-linux-audiopack-5.14
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 12387087 2010-03-20 05:09 realtek-linux-audiopack-5.14.tar.gz
    -rw
    1 john822 john822 647 2010-03-29 11:46 .recently-used
    -rw
    1 john822 john822 54292 2010-03-30 16:45 .recently-used.xbel
    drwxrwx--- 3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-26 22:38 .sane
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 0 2010-03-30 15:35 scanned
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-17 15:33 .screenlets
    drwx
    3 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-30 16:29 .Skype
    drwx
    2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 13:39 .ssh
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 0 2010-03-16 13:48 .sudo_as_admin_successful
    drwx
    2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 16:04 .synaptic
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 13:39 Templates
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-25 11:49 .themes
    drwx
    5 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 21:02 .thumbnails
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 299948 2010-03-16 12:29 TranscodedWallpaper.jpg
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-29 06:04 .umit
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 13:40 .update-manager-core
    drwx
    2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 13:39 .update-notifier
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-16 13:39 Videos
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-29 22:42 .vuescan
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-29 12:21 VueScan
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-21 14:24 .wapi
    drwxr-xr-x 4 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-30 15:32 .wine
    drwxr-xr-x 2 john822 john822 4096 2010-03-27 17:03 .xine
    -rw-r--r-- 1 john822 john822 573 2010-03-16 18:15 .xscreensaver-getimage.cache
    -rw
    1 john822 john822 254961 2010-03-30 16:52 .xsession-errors
    -rw
    1 john822 john822 111986 2010-03-29 21:28 .xsession-errors.old
    john822@john822-desktop:~$

I see .sane but I do not see scanner interface, unless that is associated with .sane
  • jhaskins75
    the first file listed at the top of the chain is the one I cannot open [ PNG ]
  • Only in the directories the scans land in:

sudo su
    chmod 777 . -R
    exit
  • jhaskins75
    gave it a try. here are the results....root@john822-desktop:/home/john822# sudo su
    root@john822-desktop:/home/john822# chmod 777 . -R
    chmod: cannot access `./.gvfs': Permission denied
    root@john822-desktop:/home/john822#
  • vtel57
    Well, firstly...

Please, just call me "Eric". I'm neither master nor geek. I'm just a fellow traveler who's been on the road a little longer than some, not as long as others.

Anyway, when you use the command "sudo" in Ubuntu, you are granting your regular user temporary root privileges to perform certain operations. It's not usually a good idea to run apps as root.

In the Xsane interface somewhere you will find "options" or "preferences". You probably need to add your regular user name as a user for that app. Restart the app as a regular user after making this preference setting. All scanned items should be accessible by your regular user after that point, as long as you're not running the app as root.

That list of files and directories you posted is the entire contents of your /home/john822 directory. Everything in that directory has permissions set so that you as the regular user/owner of the directory can access them.

Read HERE for some further information about Xsane permissions in Ubuntu.

Luck!
  • vtel57
    Note:

. (dot) is the directory that you are currently working in within the terminal applicaton. In your case, /home/john822. You ALREADY OWN that directory. You cannot change permissions for that directory.

.. (dot dot) is the parent directory of the directory you are working in currently. In your case, it is the / (root) directory. You cannot "own" or change permissions for this directory either.
  • jhaskins75
    Karma and Eric. I am about to pull my hair out!!! Eric, I went to open the program xsane without my webcam ubs plugged in, and like I previously said, it will not open, cause it associates my webcam as the primary optical devise. I plugged it back in to open it and it goes to the webcam not my scanner. I selected Files/ save the current setup for my scanner, but it does not hold that setting. I can only open the program via the command ' sudo xsane which will give me a visual option of my default devices, and of course I choose MFC-240C which is my scanner. I do not know what more to do except delete the webcam programming and still that will not guarantee xsane will sense my scanner.
  • jhaskins75
    Hey guys, this is most important, more than the scanner problem. I scrapped the whole scanner program, deleted the drivers associated with it and all related applications. To much of a headache. Now, in the beginning, I had a major problem installing the necessary drivers for my printer, and I was given a simple command to enter, it was either ehco or sudo, apt-get to force the install of the drivers I downloaded. Simply put the drivers are for my Brother MFC-240C model, and the downloaded drivers are

lpr-1.0.1-1
    cupswrapper-1.0.1-1

which show in my synaptic manager and I have updated it and my printer configuration detects the USB printer, but it does not detect those Drivers. The drivers are a deb package and not a rpm and I downloaded them in their order, lpr first, then cups next. I am completely frustrating myself beyond belief. I even went to the web http://localhost/631 which said my printer was idle. It worked previously, before this .sane adventure I went on, and I would love to have it back to normal.

brother web site gave me this command to enter: sudo dpkg-i --force all mfc240clpr-1.0.1-1.i386.deb
    " " " " mfccupswrapper-1.0.1-1.i386.deb
    And to see if the drivers were installed / check: sudo dpkg-i | grep Brother

the terminal could not recognize [ dpkg-i ] command

Karma / Eric, anybody...please give me the little simple commands that were provided to me before....PLEASE...John
  • mfillpot
    I think you forgot the space between dpkg and the dashes in both commands.

To see the correct syntax for dpkg you can check "man dpkg" or go to http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/jaunty/man1/dpkg.1.html

Categories

Upcoming Training