Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Which Linux

Hi i am a student taking some C++ programming i have a new computer with AMD Quad, 1 TB hard drive, 16 gig memory, 2 gig video card

I've used Linux SUSE 10.2 before. but which Linux would best for programming C++ ???

Thanks

Comments

• I'd suggest Fedora [0] but it's more of a personal choice overall.
    You can use every Distribution and just install the gcc (and maybe boost ;p) to start

--

[0]: http://fedoraproject.org
  • RSims
    RSims Posts: 146
    The best non-biased advice I could give you is to try them all and see what you like. However, personally I use Kubuntu 11.10 which is the KDE desktop version of Ubuntu. I'd install the Ubuntu Software Center from the Muon Software Center once you get it installed because it's a lot better then Muon in my opinion.

Any distribution of Linux would be fine I am sure, however, the Ubuntu software center is an amazing tool that allows you to easily find, explore and test new programs, a lot of them are IDEs for programming and other related tools.

For C and C++ I would recommend CodeBlocks, it's a multi-platform IDE that works on Linux, Windows, and Mac. It works great and is constantly updated.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    As was said in earlier posts, any Linux distro can be set up to do C++ programming well. I don't currently do C++ programming, but, I do use Fedora, and, when installing, if you choose to edit the software being installed, one of the choices is the "Software Development Package", which will install everything you need for programming.

Richard has given you a good list of recommends. I would also add KDE's "Kate" to the list, it is a highly configurable text editor that can be used with many programming languages.

Categories

Upcoming Training