Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Penguspy

enosis
enosis Posts: 4

Hello people :)

For the past few weeks I've been working on a new web gaming project, called Penguspy.

As you can see by visiting www.penguspy.com, it's a gallery of the best game available to the Linux platform (free & commercial). The goal of this project is to act as a showcase of all the good games in Linux (regardless of distro), raise awareness of Linux as a gaming platform and provide an easy way to install all these games, in an aesthetically pleasing, newbie-friendly and easy to use interface.

At the moment I'm working on various functionality features for the site, while adding more games to the database. Ofcourse the main feature in development is the 'Install' button, which will provide an 'easy' way to ..install each game (I am exploring various options for this at the moment, so I can't provide exact details on how it's going to work).

Now, the main reason I'm posting this, is because I would like to ask your help in improving the quality of information provided to the users. What you can do to help with at the moment is rate the games that you've played (1 to 10 star rating) and post comments/opinions. This way, people that are new to gaming in Linux will be able to find and evaluate good games easily.

Well, that's it for now. I hope you find this project interesting :)

Enosis

Comments

• darkixion
    darkixion Posts: 41
    That's a great site enosis! It's a refreshing change from the dozens of sites which report "the top 10 Linux games of 2007/2008/2009" which show the same games every year. Games for Linux are often overlooked, and your site is a great start to addressing that.
  • enosis
    Thanks for your comments, I'm glad you liked it :)
  • darkixion
    Actually, there are many games on there I never even knew were available for Linux, despite having looked around a lot before. I notice that there isn't an Adventure category. Is that because there aren't any adventure games for Linux?
  • darkixion
    Whoa, I swear that category wasn't there previously. Yes, I've just noticed the adventure category. Ignore what I said.
  • enosis
    Hehe yeah, I added some adventure games, so now there is an adventure category: http://www.penguspy.com/category/adventure/

Not that many great adv, games though that have native Linux support.

In the future I'm going to add a WINE section (platinum games only), so the choice of games will be even better.
  • redfox1160
    redfox1160 Posts: 1
    This is a great site, thanks!
  • darkixion
    I bought a couple Linux games over the weekend (which I notice now also have been added to Enosis' wonderful Penguspy site) which are Robin Hood The Legend of Sherwood and Jack Keane. I know they are a bit pricey, but I like the idea of buying a game designed to run on Linux and also support the company who put the effort into porting it. They were even kind enough to refund the shipping cost because after I ordered 1 game, I decided on another game I wanted and ordered that too but separately, which amounted to over €50 meaning it should have been free shipping if I bought them together.

And I have to say, that Robin Hood game looks graphically awesome and detailed!

I noticed the Penguspy blog too. Glad it's not just me who noticed the yearly "top 10 Linux games" lists being the same every year on every site. ;) Hopefully the site can kickstart a linux gaming community of sorts.
  • nickbana
    nickbana Posts: 5
    Wow, this is nice! I have not realized that there are a lot more good games in Linux than I expected. I'll be visiting this site more often, thanks! :laugh:

I think it would also be great to have a podcast to go with this thing. I know that might be getting into the mold of certain gaming sites like IGN.com and Gamespy, but it would probably also be an excellent medium to attract more attention to the site. Just an idea. :P
  • Xipher_Zero
    Xipher_Zero Posts: 48
    I love the idea and would be happy to help!
  • enosis
    I'm glad you enjoy the site guys :)

I'm also excited to say that Penguspy has been updated with a brand new user interface and a new super fast search engine! Hope you guys like it. Everything is custom built on HTML5/CSS3/JQuery running on wordpress.

More details about the new version at Penguspy's dev blog: Brand new Penguspy makes it easier to find great Linux games.

> Visit Penguspy ;)
  • m3xican
    m3xican Posts: 16
    Cool website, well done! :)

Maybe having a news page with latest published games and updated and adding more info to game profiles would make it perfect ;)

Categories

Upcoming Training