Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Configuring Wired Connection in Slackware[SOLVED]

Hi,

How can I configure my wired cable in Slackware to connect to internet.

The person came and setup in WIndows 7 and he configured, IP, gateway, DNS everything as" Obtain Automatically'

. I tried with , netconfig and pppoe-setup [ guess, both are going to do same thing].

I have user name, password and their nameserver.

Don't have gateway address.

BTW, connection is damn good fast than the Wireless USB modem.

So, how can I do the configuration in Slackware?

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    dhclient *ethX*

• asedt
    asedt Posts: 96
    chekkizhar wrote:
    The person came and setup in WIndows 7 and he configured, IP, gateway, DNS everything as" Obtain Automatically'

That means DHCP is used.

Check out:
    http://www.slackware.com/config/network.php and:
    http://www.slackbook.org/html/network-configuration.html
  • marc wrote:
    dhclient *ethX*

it is not showing anything, means waiting for some time then again giving the shell prompt.
    Anyway I solved, just rebooted after "netconfig' .
  • asedt wrote:
    That means DHCP is used.
    ye, thats why I tried "netconfig" , instead of "ppp setup"
    I have Slackbook . I referred that too.

Two things caused the problem,

1. ISP itself turned off for maintenance
    2. After some timethey called me to tell that problem is fixed. So , I started my system. Then things started to work. [ I myself mentioned to restart the system in my article, its so funny I forgot what I have told to others.

Thanks Aron and Marc :-)
  • marc wrote:
    dhclient *ethX*

If I connected the UTP cable while booting, nothing is required to connect to net. [ If I disable on demand option and enabled always up option in config file]

But, if I plug the cable, after logged in, I really need this command to connect to internet.

Thanks Marc:)
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Slackware by default only attempts to connect to the wired connection and use dhcpcd on boot. To setup the detection on normal operation you can use wicd or use the following commands:

ifconfig eth0 up
    dhcpcd etho
  • mfillpot wrote:
    Slackware by default only attempts to connect to the wired connection and use dhcpcd on boot.
    yes, I noticed. :)
    To setup the detection on normal operation you can use wicd or use the following commands:

normal operation means ? Detecting whenever I plugged the UTP cable?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    chekkizhar wrote:
    mfillpot wrote:
    Slackware by default only attempts to connect to the wired connection and use dhcpcd on boot.
    yes, I noticed. :)
    To setup the detection on normal operation you can use wicd or use the following commands:

normal operation means ? Detecting whenever I plugged the UTP cable?

It will not prompt you when a new connection is found,but when a connection is added you will need to manually run those commands.
  • mfillpot wrote:

It will not prompt you when a new connection is found,but when a connection is added you will need to manually run those commands.

ok.:) currently I am in office.Not with my system. I will try with those commands and report it here.

So many options/ways are there to achieve a task in Linux. Hard to remember, unless doing those very often:cheer:
  • mfillpot wrote:
    Slackware by default only attempts to connect to the wired connection and use dhcpcd on boot. To setup the detection on normal operation you can use wicd or use the following commands:

ifconfig eth0 up
    dhcpcd etho

yeh, this is also working :-) . Thanks Mathew and Marc

Categories

Upcoming Training