Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Mirrors for a new Linux distro?

I'm trying to find mirrors to host a new Linux distro I'm involved with. I know sites like ibiblio.org are good for hosting open source projects, but, I also see that a great deal of Linux distros use university servers for their hosting. Does anyone know of a listing of such mirrors (ones that are open to new projects), or some way I can find out more info about obtaining permission from certain sites to host the iso's?

I can see many sites just by going to the download pages of just about any distro. I'm wondering if there's some sort of protocol one needs to go through to be accepted by these sites.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• asedt
    asedt Posts: 96
    I think using http://sourceforge.net/ is the easies thing to do, they have lots off mirrors and developers can care about what matters.

Also check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities

I checked out my "University mirror" http://ftp.sunet.se/ and yes what do I see they are mirror providers to sourceforge!

Edit: Btw I have seen distributions that only have there ISO-files on SF and it's enough for world distribution. So you only have to put one download link on the distro page :D (you can always go with torrents to)
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Aron
    Thanks for the response. I'm already familiar with ibiblio and sourceforge. The reason I'm inquiring about universities is because they have a better push/pull service when trying to maintain current versions. I'm trying to find out how to approach the folks who run the university servers so I can ask in an intelligent manner and get a better response when I do ask.
    It's hard finding servers that allow a distro to have free and unhindered access so they can control the updating process. This is all new to me, so, I'm sort of learning from the ground up.
    I'm also sure that we'll be using torrents, as long as we can insure the integrity of the files. Security of one type or another is paramount.

I'm still hoping someone who reads this will have more hints to help me in my quest. It's not a hobby distro that we're setting up, the folks developing it have been around for a long time, and have helped with the release of some popular Debian based distros. Unfortunately, they, as well as I, have never had to go through the process of obtaining the mirrors.

Edit: Just looked at that wiki page. You may have helped more than I thought. My Google foo isn't as good as yours. Nice find.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    FYI - I finally solved my problem by going to DistroWatch, looking at the mirrors for the top distros, and e-mailing the administrators of each one I found asking if they would host the new distro. I stopped after finding three. While mirror lists like the one that Aron googled up were helpful, most of the mirrors contained on those lists didn't respond. University LUGs were the most helpful.

Categories

Upcoming Training