Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Problem installing UBUNTU

HI everyone,

i am new to linux and i would love to use ubuntu as my OS but the problem that i am facing is that as soon as i try to boot it from the live cd it gives a error

kernel panic not syncing: IO-APIC + time doesn't work, .............................try booting with 'noapic' option

pls pls help me on this one

or suggest some good linux os which i can install on my system................my system confiq

P4, 2.93 GHZ, 80 GB HDD, 1 GB RAM

Comments

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    You may have a bad LiveCD. APIC controls power functions and others relating to turning off and on you system. Reburn the image. Download from this site, www,ubuntu.com. Search for the distro your choice, LTS preferred. Try the installation again. Or, you could download linux mint 11.
  • RSims
    RSims Posts: 146
    Try ubuntu 11.04 fresh install:woohoo:
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    On the boot screen, press "e" to edit the boot line and add "noapic" at the end. Try then...

Or try another Linux distro like Opensuse or Fedora
  • chekkizhar
    chekkizhar Posts: 182
    can you please explain the problem/solution about " noapic" Marc?
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    chekkizhar wrote:
    can you please explain the problem/solution about " noapic" Marc?

Well, I really don't know much about the matter :S

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Programmable_Interrupt_Controller

Noapic just disables the apic... (as it sometimes brings up problems)
  • chekkizhar
    chekkizhar Posts: 182
    marc wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Programmable_Interrupt_Controller

Noapic just disables the apic... (as it sometimes brings up problems)

thanks. But, I also did not get fully. I understood that, I should peek into Admin and h/w engineer stuff often.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    If you need to set the boot option "noapic" to run, then you either have incompatible hardware, or you need to change a BIOS option to adjust the system to support Linux properly with ACPI enabled.
  • RSims
    RSims Posts: 146
    Ubuntu 11.10 comes out tomorrow (Thursday) which is in one hour for me here in central states time. Might as well try it out like everyone else =)

Categories

Upcoming Training