Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Embedded arm runing linux

Hi,

i bought a linux base arm dev kit - devkit8500d , similar to devkit8000 from embest.

I got the board that it allready running linux kernel 2.6.

But....

1. I am unable to connect to it using telnet or ssh.

2.dont know how to imstall gcc on the board.

I can acsses terminal using serial cable.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    If you can access the terminal through serial you should be able to review the installed applications to see if ssh or telnet are installed and make the necessary configuration changes to set them up as services.

I have reviewed some of the information on the board and it appears that it is running Android 2.2 as the gui, and potentially is cloning the core OS properties which include no remote access.

As for gcc, if it is not included then you cannot compile on the device, you will need to build the application and base files on another ARM based system or a qemu virtual machine then transferring the files to the device.

Have you considered building a new ARM based OS image using something like yocto (http://www.yoctoproject.org/) to in qemu to build a custom Linux based OS to be flashed to the board?

Also, if you are looking at embedded development you can consider getting a beagleboard (http://beagleboard.org/), which has a great support community, many of which are TI employees who are passionate about the boards and projects.
  • chekkizhar
    chekkizhar Posts: 182
    Yoavkarmon wrote:
    Hi,
    i bought a linux base arm dev kit - devkit8500d , similar to devkit8000 from embest.
    the board specification is interesting. Rich in features.
    I got the board that it allready running linux kernel 2.6.
    good. You are lucky for not getting with WinCE

1. I am unable to connect to it using telnet or ssh.
    1. First, you need to ensure the telnet and SSH are enabled. Since you have terminal access, that will be dead easy to check. And as mfillpot mentioned, you may need to change the config file. If you found difficult, feel free to get back here with your config files of both. But, SSH is safer than telnet.

2. Then you need to ensure, your system and the board are in same class of IP family. that is, ip address and netmask should be configured correctly. And gateway can be your system or board ip itself.

3. Then try with "ping" command to board IP from system and from board to system IP. If possible, try to post, " /etc/hosts" file.
    2.dont know how to imstall gcc on the board.

Can you please a bit clear. Are you want to
    1. code and compile in the board itself
    or
    2. want to run the assembler output [ binary output of c code ], in the board.

Depending on that the procedure will change.
    But, my personal opinion, you can do cross compile procedure. That is, do the coding in your system then just run the executables in the board, which saves lot of space in the board and work load in the board will get reduced to a notable one.

And again, the board specification is excellent. You can do so many things.
  • Hi,

thanks for the quick answers.

*FYI: i am pretty new at LINUX programing.

1. networking:

i have a working Ethernet connection, using my DHCP server on my home router.

2. how do i ensure the telnet and SSH are "enabled"?

i can see that telnetd on user space, but when i try to connect from my pc, to the board i get "connection refused".

one more question:

i want to download the SSH source code-> compile it using cross compiler -> download it the the board.

for what i can see in the instructions to compiling the SSH code:

a.download the source code

b. compile it on the cross compiler using "make" -> how do i make sure it will be compiled to arm?

c. then do make install -> but it will install it on the host PC not on target, should i copy it to the target and then run "make install"?

10x for the help,

yoav

link: ftp://ftp.ca.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/INSTALL
  • chekkizhar
    Yoavkarmon wrote:

2. how do i ensure the telnet and SSH are "enabled"?

1. you told that you can able to open the terminal, right ? . Just do that.
    2. login as root
    3. then
    # cd /usr/bin
    # chmod 0755 ssh

i can see that telnetd on user space, but when i try to connect from my pc, to the board i get "connection refused".
    since you have 2.6 kernel, by default telnet is disabled. But, you can use SSH instead.
    i want to download the SSH source code-> compile it using cross compiler -> download it the the board.
    I guess 2.6 has ssh by default. You need to enable as mentioned previously.
    a.download the source code
    yes you have to. if ssh not in board. But, I am sure it will be there. And if you want, you have to download for ARM architecture not for intel/AMD and so on.
    I am running with slow internet connection, so I can not give you exact link to download. But, google will help you to get ssh for ARM.
    b. compile it on the cross compiler using "make" -> how do i make sure it will be compiled to arm?
    you need ssh package which is built for ARM
    c. then do make install -> but it will install it on the host PC not on target, should i copy it to the target and then run "make install"?
    you need to transfer the package using ftp to the board. then from your terminal of the board you can install the package.
    If you are using Windows OS , you can use filezila to transfer the package to the board using board IP.

I guess, all the procedures are supposed to be with the board package box. Any CD or hardcopy guide is included ?
    Feel free to get back here.

* regarding ssh enable procedure, I guess that ' chmod ' command is enough. If not working, let us to see your config file of ssh. And we have more Admin people here. They will help you more .
  • Hi man, thanks!

i will do those things today and i will report to you ASAP.

10x again!
  • Code:

# cd /usr/bin
    # chmod 0755 ssh

1.no ssh on /usr/bin
    2. how do i enable telnet?
  • hi,

i am trying to find ssh source code for ARm, and cant find it.

can anyone advise?
  • mfillpot
    Generally the source code is the same as x86, you only need to configure the build for your selected architecture.

http://ftp.slackware.org.uk/armedslack/armedslack-13.37/source/n/openssh/openssh.SlackBuild has an example of the build flags needed to build openssh on an ARM processor.
  • mfillpot
    You can also use the which command (if it is installed) to look for sshd and telnet on the system.
  • chekkizhar
    Yoavkarmon wrote:
    Code:

1.no ssh on /usr/bin

interesting. Need to dig more in file structure.
    2. how do i enable telnet?
    # chmod 0755 /bin/telnet

2. then open , "/etc/inetd.conf" , using
    # vi  /etc/inetd.conf

as a root user.
    [ Now, you should be careful, since you have opened one important file as a root user. ]

3. look for the word " telnet " and that line should be commented, by adding " # " at the beginning.

4. after you found that line , you just remove the " # " in that line.

5. then reboot the board .

6. To ensure the telnet working state, after powered up , give
    #telnet localhost

or
    #telnet 127.0.0.1

that should ask for user name and password . thats it.

Then after that, you can use telnet to communicate with the board.

Note: Please make sure, you did not made any other changes in inetd.conf file. Or else, I suggest you to make copy of that for safer side.
    #cp /etc/inetd.conf <your_destination>

• chekkizhar
    mfillpot wrote:
    Generally the source code is the same as x86, you only need to configure the build for your selected architecture.

http://ftp.slackware.org.uk/armedslack/armedslack-13.37/source/n/openssh/openssh.SlackBuild has an example of the build flags needed to build openssh on an ARM processor.
    Great and thanks for the link.
    If possible, using a simple Slackware script can you please explain it step by step in a blog post.
    I really want to know more regarding the scripts, which will be easier to solve ,most of the situations. And, without any doubt, that will help the New Slackware users to know more about the system functionalities by going through concern scripts.
  • mfillpot
    chekkizhar wrote:
    mfillpot wrote:

Great and thanks for the link.
    If possible, using a simple Slackware script can you please explain it step by step in a blog post.
    I really want to know more regarding the scripts, which will be easier to solve ,most of the situations. And, without any doubt, that will help the New Slackware users to know more about the system functionalities by going through concern scripts.

Thank you for the recommendation, I think I will write a quick post using the slackbiuld example scripts to explain how a slackbuild is structured so people can learn to use them as learning tools..
  • results:
    root@DevKit8500:~# telnet 127.0.0.1
    telnet: cannot connect to remote host (127.0.0.1): Connection refused

2.cant find etc/inetd.conf

what next?
  • chekkizhar
    Yoavkarmon wrote:
    results:
    root@DevKit8500:~# telnet 127.0.0.1
    its because, telnet should be enabled . Means, in the inetd.conf file, that step must be done. Since you are saying, you can not able to find that file itself, its difficult .
    2.cant find etc/inetd.conf
    1. Try to find that file.Start from directory, " / " . Not direct "etc" , its "/etc" It should be there to support network related stuff. And, didn't you received any guide or procedure from the board vendor ?
    2. On sunday I will spend time for your board problem and will try to help you more regarding this.
    what next?

yeh, meanwhile try giving,
    # cd /etc
    #grep telnet *

and post the output .
  • chekkizhar
    And did you tried with "chmod" . Got any error for that ? First we need to locate where the telnet exe is placed. It may be in "/usr/bin" or in "/bin" .

So, please inform us all things , so that we can solve the things together quickly . :-)

First, you try with "chmod" and report it.
  • here isd the output:

root@DevKit8500:/# pwd
    /
    root@DevKit8500:/# find -name inetd.conf
    root@DevKit8500:/# find -name telnet
    ./usr/bin/telnet
    ./usr/lib/opkg/alternatives/telnet
    root@DevKit8500:/# cd /usr/bin
    root@DevKit8500:/usr/bin# ls -l |grep telnet
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 1001 1007 17 Feb 21 2011 telnet -> ../../bin/busybox
    root@DevKit8500:/usr/bin# cd /usr/lib/opkg/alternatives
    root@DevKit8500:/usr/lib/opkg/alternatives# ls -l |grep telnet
    -rw-r--r-- 1 1001 1007 37 Jan 27 2009 telnet
    -rw-r--r-- 1 1001 1007 39 Jan 27 2009 telnetd
    root@DevKit8500:/usr/lib/opkg/alternatives# chmod 777 telnet
    root@DevKit8500:/usr/lib/opkg/alternatives# chmod 777 telnetd
    root@DevKit8500:/usr/lib/opkg/alternatives# ls -l |grep telnet
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 1001 1007 37 Jan 27 2009 telnet
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 1001 1007 39 Jan 27 2009 telnetd
    root@DevKit8500:/usr/lib/opkg/alternatives#
    root@DevKit8500:/usr/lib/opkg/alternatives# telnet 127.0.0.1
  • chekkizhar
    Thanks.
    # vi  /etc/xinetd.d/telnet

then, change the ‘disable=yes’ to ‘disable=no

or, insteadof opening and editing the file, you can use,
    #chkconfig telnet on
    #chkconfig xinetd on

as a root user.
    #service xinetd restart

or better restart the board then try ,
    #telnet localhost

• HI,

as you can see i donot have "xinetd.d" on my sestem.
  • chekkizhar
    hmm.. then its better you quickly follow the board vendor to get the work done with out any delay. And share with us , about how they solved this , too. ANd make sure with " ftp " also .
  • Actually, they are not answering any emails.

I am so disaponited with from this vendor, and i might abondn the board if things will keep be so crap.

As i see, embest devkit8500d cant be useable right now.

BTW

The cross compiler is not working also.

Any one can recommand a good board?

1. I need that it will have basic functioalty from the box.
    2. 3g
    3. wifi
    4. Lan
    5. Gps (optinal)
    6. Lcd

?
  • chekkizhar
    Yoavkarmon wrote:
    Actually, they are not answering any emails.
    so bad :angry:
    I am so disaponited with from this vendor, and i might abondn the board if things will keep be so crap.

As i see, embest devkit8500d cant be useable right now.
    you please wait for some more days. Or atleast 3 days. We can try together
    The cross compiler is not working also.
    Did they gave you the cross-compiler ?
    Any one can recommand a good board?

1. I need that it will have basic functioalty from the box.
    2. 3g
    3. wifi
    4. Lan
    5. Gps (optinal)
    6. Lcd

?
    sure . they are lot many boards.
    [url]
    http://www.developmentboard.net/
    http://beagleboard.org/
    [/url]
    but, the 3G,Wifi, GPS are not there so far.
  • mfillpot
    You can also look at http://www.gumstix.com/ for modular open source hardware that when combined can offer many of the same attributes.
  • They gave my a compiler, but it will no compile.
    Did their omstall guide step by step twice.
  • Even if i an make things work on that board, how can i build aproduct when they cant support me?

I talke with this company in last few days, and i think of going on with them.
    They are not offering a 3g module but they know some proucuts work with thier board.

Any why, they answer emails fast, and i will make sure (wem meeting) that basic things works from the box.

Yoav,

In regards to the TS-7300:
    http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7300#

We have the cross compiler available here from an x86 linux workstation:
    ftp://ftp.embeddedarm.com/ts-arm-sbc/ts-7300-linux/cross-toolchains/crosstool-linux-gcc-3.4.4-glibc-2.3.2.tar.gz

A cross compiler for x86 windows here:
    ftp://ftp.embeddedarm.com/ts-arm-sbc/ts-7300-linux/cross-toolchains/crosstool-cygwin-gcc-3.3.2-glibc-2.3.2.tar.bz2

As well as Eclipse prepared to work with this toolchain:
    ftp://ftp.embeddedarm.com/misc/eclipse/eclipse-ide-ts7000.zip

As I had mentioned we also have a virtual machine prepared with the linux cross compiler:
    ftp://ftp.embeddedarm.com/misc/virtualbox/ts-virtual-dev/

For writing hello world, see section 7.2 of the manual here:
    http://www.embeddedarm.com/documentation/software/arm-linux-ts72xx.pdf

I had also mentioned a customer who had used a 3G USB adapter.  That would be this model:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei_E220
    I cannot guarantee this will work out of the box on the TS-7300 as we have not tested it, but we do offer engineering services if you have trouble getting it to work.  It looks like the support was added in 2.6.20, but there are workarounds to get it to work in previous kernels.  The TS-7300 will use a 2.4.26 kernel by default.

If you wanted to look into our FPGA code we do have that available for the TS-7300 here:
    http://opencores.org/project,ts7300_opencore,overview
  • chekkizhar
    ok. Somehow they responded. Did you asked about telnet/ssh issue ? Did you tried with the link that they provided ?

Categories

Upcoming Training