Comments

• RickSMO
    RickSMO Posts: 123
    In the very begining, ubuntu.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    RickSMO wrote:
    In the very begining, ubuntu.

In that case I has two different classifications, the true stability is when you use ubuntu as an end user and try not to modify anything to low level. However if you are a perfectionist like myself, always modifying the core configuration files, you will quickly find that the automatic tools and scripts can overwrite or conflict with your modifications, which can cause soem nice problems that are hard to resolve.

In addition Ubuntu tends to use more beta level software such as grub2, which can cause some issues if they do not configure them perfectly or if an update blocks backward compatibility. But in the end ubuntu is has proven more stable than Fedora or openSUSE for me.
  • RickSMO
    RickSMO Posts: 123
    Interesting, thank you for clarifying.
  • kcwong13
    kcwong13 Posts: 1
    I'm quite new in Linux OS, so far 3 type of Linux I've experienced -- Fedora, Ubuntu and Debian. After tested both 3 type of OS, I'm decided stick with Fedora. I'm think Fedora consider quite user friendly Linux Distro, graphical base installation and the best part will be yum, yum is very easy to use tool set which allow me install, uninstall and update any software that I'm needed. The only problem for me will be the graphic card driver, by using nvidia graphic card, I've to separately install the driver after the first boot, but frankly, i love Fedora so much.... :cheer:
  • I figure I'll quit lurking and start posting.

Post #1!

I switched to Linux from Windows, and God forbid I ever go back. I only use it when absolutely necessary.
    I really like Ubuntu and their mission statement. I've had no issues whatsoever with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is very stable, and fast. For me that's the biggest thing. I like a simple and responsive OS.
    The software center is great, it's saved me headache thus far.

I'm running 11.04 but with Gnome 2. I used Unity for a short amount of time but had to switch back.

So far I think Gnome 3 is great with what they've done, but I tried it and hated it. Maybe it'll grow on me?
    So for right now Gnome 2 is my preferred GUI.

I changed majors from History to Computer Science and I've really gotten into Linux. I'm looking into Archlinux right now. I'm not overly experienced with the command line so I'm going to give it some time before I switch completely. I'm still learning so I figure it'll be gradual.
  • Stating personal experience, My requirement was that distro should be stable and usable like windows.....

Tried Ubuntu: Hated the GUI, and it for into habit of crashing!!......... hardly get to use it, the installer came almost naked and without any softwares (from company or third party), it was a pain

Than I tried Mint: I loved its GUI from screen shots I had seen on google, but it won't get installed on my Comp, somehow

(One major issue I has was fonts, because I am Graphic Designer into serious corporate communication...... I am fussy about fonts and wanted to use most of fonts I had collected over years!!)

Than I came across "Mandriva", a very stable system...... uses TTF fonts as it is, before shifting to Linux I had already found out about gimp, inkscape and scribus, tried and loved them over my Adobe CS........ so, for me it will be Mandriva, there are some cons that I can think of..... but, mostly as I am a new user of it and they will go away as time passes by

There is one other Linux I would have loved to try, PCLinux Gnome...... but, its gone out of business!!

Categories

Upcoming Training