Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

How to get Tor & Vidalia to change ip address

Options

Comp: Dell 1420

Browser: Firefox 5.0

I installed Tor and Vidalia using the instructions here:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-inst...in-ubuntu.html

When I start Vidalia, under "Tor Status" it has the green onion and says "Tor is running." And I have the green onion up on the right on my Ubuntu toolbar.

But when I check my ip here: http://www.whatismyip.com/

It's the same as it was before.

I installed Tor so that I can use a proxy to get a different ip ... so what am I doing wrong - or what do I need to do to get a different ip?

I'm new to Tor and Vidalia, and still a novice Ubuntu user, so would appreciate any help in getting another ip. Also, is there a way for me to choose the city of the ip I'm getting through Tor?

Comments

• RSims
    RSims Posts: 146
    Options
    I'm not sure why your having an issue. When I installed Tor I did nothing that was recommended as far as settings, all I did was install and then run it. It changed my IP Address and put me on the Tor Network just with default settings.

The rest of your questions, I am not familiar enough with the program to answer. I hope you get them figured out.

Side question tho, why are you using Ubuntu 8.XX? 11.04 has made a lot of advances, I'd recommend you try it. When I used tor I was on 10.10
  • Fidelio1st
    Options
    Well I read people were having issues with Ubuntu 10.10 and they suggested just keeping 8.04 if it was working fine.

So is 11.04 better and has it been working good for you?

I'm not to Linux savvy, I usually just fix things by googling the problems - and other than Tor, everything seems to be working fine.

One of the main programs I got working on Ubuntu is Virtual Machine, so I can run a program on windows. If I upgrade to 11.04, will I have to set that up again, or does it save all my programs?

Also, I've had problems in the past getting videos to play (like on Youtube), but I have that fixed now. I worry that if I upgrade I may lose that capability again and have to figure it out.

Thanks for any advice.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Options
    It really depends on your preference when you talk about upgrading.

11.04 will work on most systems. However, video driver support is suspect. If your system meets the requirements, there's minimal complication. To me, that is the only disadvantage.

Save the image of your virtual servers. Then access them with Virtual Machine. And we all learn from googleing and joining forums. Mostly, the best way. There some really good books that you can read.

However, using simple thought, if all is working on your system, then, there is no need to upgrade. Unless, it is not LTS(long term support).

Categories

Upcoming Training