Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

best easy and complete distro

which is best distro with all multimedia codecs and with easy and secure software upgrade procedure, for 64 bit notebook?

Comments

• dsparil
    dsparil Posts: 17
    There is no best, but the easiest distro with all the codecs preinstalled would be Mint.
  • Guzanof
    Guzanof Posts: 14
    Holywar )) fight, fight!!

p.s. Ubuntu only )

// wbr
  • vtel57
    vtel57 Posts: 164
    Linux Mint would be my vote also.
  • dsparil
    Guzanof wrote:
    Holywar )) fight, fight!!

p.s. Ubuntu only )

// wbr

He wanted a distro that has all the codecs preinstalled.
  • abrenar
    abrenar Posts: 117
    hmmmmm.

Ubuntu is the best for me, try it Ubuntu Studio, with lots of multimedia software.
  • dsparil
    abrenar wrote:
    hmmmmm.

Ubuntu is the best for me, try it Ubuntu Studio, with lots of multimedia software.

Ubuntu Studios comes with a lot of multimedia software, but it doesn't come with the restricted codecs that the original poster wants for the reason that Canonical is a legal entity that can't provide these codecs for free.

Other distros like Mint that do have these codecs preinstalled are community distros with no corporate entity, and they are based in a foreign country that don't enforce these intellectual copyright protection.

That's why you'll never see Canonical, Red Hat, and Novell include these codecs out of the box. (They would be sued if they did).

If you feel that you have a moral obligation to be 100% legal, you could buy the license to use these codecs.

Codecs Here:
    http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=244&osCsid=db72404f5e1b252d657f13e2c3485895

DVD Playback Here:
    http://shop.canonical.com/product_info.php?products_id=243
  • abrenar
    abrenar Posts: 117
    if that so linux mint is a great distro, i never tried it before, but i will soon, for the poster why does you want to use a distro with pre-installed codecs? it is better to practice search,study and apply in linux for you to fully understand about your distro. "in my opinion"

B)
  • vtel57
    vtel57 Posts: 164
    It's based on Ubuntu, Arben, but comes loaded with all the Universal repo apps and the non-free apps and codecs.
  • dsparil
    abrenar wrote:
    if that so linux mint is a great distro, i never tried it before, but i will soon, for the poster why does you want to use a distro with pre-installed codecs? it is better to practice search,study and apply in linux for you to fully understand about your distro. "in my opinion"

B)

It's true that for Ubuntu, he could technically go to http://www.medibuntu.org/ and follow the directions there to get all the codecs and dvd playback installed in less than 5 minutes. As for the legal issues, it's not any different than installing Mint.

It's all about how lazy the OP wants to be. :lol:
  • Ale
    Ale Posts: 7
    Linux Mint or SimplyMEPIS are for me.
    Fedora or Ubuntu are not for me.
  • poundjd
    poundjd Posts: 3
    I would offer Ubuntu.
  • mimir
    mimir Posts: 4
    Honestly, and i am not just talking as a startingtogetexperiencedlinuxuser. But, i mean, trust me, codecs and the likes is so easy to install (start add/remove and search for flash and whatever you need). Really. At least on Ubuntu, which is the distro i always recommend to newbies.

If you, though, insist on having what you need, and stuff you probably do not need (which might also be included on ubuntu if you get picky), i vote for mint.

Anywho. Good luck with your journey on the dark side
  • Xipher_Zero
    Xipher_Zero Posts: 48
    I would say remaster ubuntu with remastersys and install all the codecs and modules you need. You do this once and you won't have to do it again for a year or two. If something gets hosed just dump your remastered install disk in the drive and fire away :)

(Of course really Im saying that there is no perfect out the box distro unless you want to create one yourself :P ) Other than that I would also throw my weight behind Mint.
  • Ahtenus
    Ahtenus Posts: 1
    I'd recommend mint it's basically like Ubuntu with preinstalled codecs and a nice gnome theme.
  • kggy
    kggy Posts: 18
    you can add packages to Ubuntu and make it a multimedia distro very easily, you have to instal some packages but it is easy. try this site:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
  • Ive been falling in love with crunchbang out of the gate it has many codecs, a large list of apps, light weight due to using the openbow wm and its built from ubuntu so it has the repositories and stability to back it up.
  • Rovanion
    Rovanion Posts: 73
    No, wait!
    Why would you even advertise here?
    That is the most stupidly placed gold selling ad I've ever seen.

And for a distro with all your favourite propitary codecs and flash installed from the go. My vote goes for Linux Mint 7.
  • ScHmItCh
    ScHmItCh Posts: 10
    Definitely Linux Mint. Ubuntu based and very easy to use. They pre-install a lot of codecs so you shouldn't need to go searching a lot.

If you are new to Linux Linux Mint also has a very user friendly interface.

Categories

Upcoming Training