Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

I am A Noobi

Options

First off Hi i am new to linux well semi new i have played with ubuntu but i want to find a good cmd based linux that i can run in windows but i need it to be as newbie as can be can any one help me??? i am open to ideas on how to go about teaching my self linux.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    Well, any Linux distro can be a command based distro, and , if you want to run it from within windows, Ubuntu is the one that uses the wubi installation method, and can be run within windows.
    You can run Linux from a LiveCD or USB stick also, but that's apart from Windows.

One distro you might want to try would be Parted Magic. While it's main use is for Disk Partitioning and rescuing broken computers, once it loads up, it runs in memory, so, it's as fast as any Linux distro, even though it's not installed.

Maybe you should explain more about what you want to achieve, or, what specifically you need a command based distro for. We might be able to point you in other directions.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    The best way to learn how the system really works is to work without a gui, in complete cli mode. You can do it with any distro by changin the init level in /etc/inittab to mulit-user cli mode which is a number that can vary by distro.

I will do what I can to help guide you.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Options
    The last two posts are good ones. I would try them out. Please keep us posted if run into issues.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Options
    mfillpot wrote:
    The best way to learn how the system really works is to work without a gui, in complete cli mode. You can do it with any distro by changin the init level in /etc/inittab to mulit-user cli mode which is a number that can vary by distro.

I will do what I can to help guide you.

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
    # 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
    # 1 - Single user mode
    # 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
    # 3 - Full multiuser mode
    # 4 - unused
    # 5 - X11
    # 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
    #
    id:3:initdefault:

Regards

Categories

Upcoming Training