Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Issues BOOTING unbuntu...

PC SPECS: Home built machine, she is a few years old now, anyhow here is the hardware.

Current OS: Windows 7 Home premium 64 Bit

MB: Gigabyte; Model: GA-MA785GM-US2H

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHZ

Memory: 6144 MB RAM

Display: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series

Sound: Realtek high definition audio driver: RTVHD64.sys

I have tried doing the boot via the disk, and the boot via the windows installer. Upon loading the windows installer first the boot screen ask me which OS I wish to operate in. Choosing Ubuntu the prompts me to a screen selection of which boot method I wish to use with Ubuntu. There is a countdown timer on the screen, once it hits zero. Nothing happens. So I reset the machine and try again, this time selecting one option after the other, every option gives me a black CMD prompt on a black background with the blinking cursor... I wait a few min at each window. Nothing occurs. The only option that gets Ubuntu to load is the "workaround" method. Of course once I get into the OS there is an error message, dealing with the partitioning of my drives. I slide it out of the way and play with the start options. The applications and what have you appear my network connection is not noticed at this point.

I reboot my machine. Start in Windows and remove Ubuntu thinking something may have gone wrong in the download process, I download the version and burn it to a CD, I open the cd to make sure the files have been properly written to the disk. After doing so I restart my machine, Boot from CD, then the pink Ubuntu Background comes up with a white icon at the bottom center that appears to be a circle with something in it... a few minutes later the screen goes black and I am at the CMD screen again.

I plan on trying the 64 Bit system today and see if that works. I will get back with you to let you know any further information.

Any suggestions on what went wrong so that I may further step through the portal known as "Linux" would be a great help, I don't like just getting my toes wet, I need to dive into the ocean to experience the pool.

Comments

• RSims
    RSims Posts: 146
    If your trying to install it with the windows installer (wubi) then it installs it as kind of a application on your drive instead of having it's own partition space. Leaving the disk in your computer and rebooting would prompt the ubuntu screen where it tries to open another installer to do a live disk trial run or fully install ubuntu onto your computer with a partition.

I am confused on which you are trying to do, install wubi or install a dual boot system with ubuntu as one of the operating systems. Also, you mentioned a partition error that you "slide out of the way" what does it say and what are you trying to do?

You basically have 3 options:

1. Install Ubuntu as a application on windows with wubi (Not Recommended)
    2. Test Ubuntu by running off your live CD. (Doesn't sound like what your trying to do)
    3. Install Ubuntu properly by giving it it's own partition. (Best option).

The easiest way would be to reboot your system and select the install full version option, then when it asks what your trying to do, tell it to "Install alongside windows/another os".

Otherwise if your feeling up to it you can try my method which is this:
    **FIRST BACK UP ANYTHING IMPORTANT**

1. Pop Ubuntu or your preferred Linux disc into the computer
    2. Press "Full install" if using Ubuntu, follow the steps if using different distro
    3. Choose specify something else/Custom partition
    4. Delete current partition/s
    5. Create your partitions in this order : Swap (2-5GB, Logical drive and at the beginning), Then create a new partition: ext4 Linux primary and size it as large or small as you would like.
    6. finish install
    7. install windows in the free space left over
    8. recover Linux by popping the Linux cd back in and doing a recovery because windows wiped out grub from your master boot record.(Or just install it a second time using the same partition space)
    9 update and secure both.
    10. Your done!

The reason I do it this way is that the speed of Linux regardless of distribution is highly dependent on SWAP being the very first partition on your hard drive. Even if your computer has plenty of physical RAM you still need SWAP to be in the beginning and the very first partition. This has made a huge difference in my performance.
  • ou basically have 3 options:

1. Install Ubuntu as a application on windows with wubi (Not Recommended)
    2. Test Ubuntu by running off your live CD. (Doesn't sound like what your trying to do)
    3. Install Ubuntu properly by giving it it's own partition. (Best option).

The first two options, as explained, are two separate paths I have attempted to get Ubuntu to install. The details I have provided are what has happened, after the attempt on both have occurred. As for the error that I "slid out of the way" as I mentioned before hand I will update the community on that shortly. I am not giving it its own partition at the moment because I do not want to dedicate hard disk space to something I am not going to run completely. Hence the "trial" options.
  • The situation I am having is that , that is not working. I have even attempted to run a live CD from a thumb drive of LinuxMint, I am getting to the load screen with the pretty options. Once I attempt to load the system I am prompted to a black CMD Prompt screen with a blinking cursor icon... The same thing that happened with Ubuntu.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Cellinheim wrote:
    The situation I am having is that , that is not working. I have even attempted to run a live CD from a thumb drive of LinuxMint, I am getting to the load screen with the pretty options. Once I attempt to load the system I am prompted to a black CMD Prompt screen with a blinking cursor icon... The same thing that happened with Ubuntu.

That could happen if your graphics adapter can't handle the X system of that distro. The some happened to me on a few occasions with ubuntu.

Typ: lspci -v on your system to read what it says about your video card.

You can try out different WMs with your preferred OS and see if that will help. In fact give debian squeeze a try. It allows you choose different DEs. Different DEs, customized X system.

[img size=150]src="http://wsrc="http://www.linux.com/images/stories/badges/lg2011_badge.png"[/img]
  • Bootloader issue?
  • I have no clue as to what happened... As far as I can tell all of the disks I have created thus far have the files setup properly on them. I recently used a DVD instead of a CD to create my live disk. The DVD is currently allowing me to speak to you here, via Linux-mint... So far I love it. The speed of this OS coming from a Disk is unreal. I will try the same thing of Ubuntu... now that my toes are wet I want to play... Where to begin.... ?
  • bkerensa wrote:
    Bootloader issue?

Yes I am believing this is more than likely my primary issue... I am still investigating ATM though. Thanx for the help, keep it coming.

Categories

Upcoming Training