Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

facing problem when run , yakuake in Slackware

Hai,

when running yakuake, I am getting error message,

root@Slackware:~# yakuake

(5160)/: KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server: "Did not receive a reply.

Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired,

or the network connection was broken."

(5159)/: KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

previously it was running. The only difference is , now I am trying as normal user, where as previously I used as a root user.

I tried with,

chmod 0777 yakuake

in /usr/bin directory.

but, no luck. Even I tried as a root used [ as shown in first code ] , that time also getting the error.

How can I solve this ? So far I can not find anything in google..

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    That sounds like a permission issue for the user your are using, did you read http://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub/slackware/slackware64-current/Slackware-HOWTO to determine which groups your user should belong in?
  • chekkizhar
    chekkizhar Posts: 182
    mfillpot wrote:
    That sounds like a permission issue for the user your are using, did you read http://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub/slackware/slackware64-current/Slackware-HOWTO to determine which groups your user should belong in?

No. I did not read that.

But before reading this post , I re-installed the application as root then rebooted the system , application is running now in normal user mode . [ before, rebooting I tried to run, but same error I got ] . Sounds silly, but I want that application hardly. So, just gone by this blind method.

Since it is running now for the same conditions [ installing as root, running as normal user ] , I guess, there may be some other problem . Not sure. Because, on the same day, I got the message that my ALSA driver was not found in the bus. But, I will cross-check the user-group needed to run the application.

But, shell is a kind of editor. Not going to use any critical resource until changing user mode to root. Then , why is this limitation [users, belongs to some particular group can only use ] is made ?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    If you keep having dbus error messages and the rights are correctly assigned then you may have installed a corrupt package or the dbus package my be installed in a bad sector of your disk.

Check your error logs in /var/log to see if anything else is reporting weird to properly locate the cause.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    try with
    dbus-launch yakuake

What's the output?
  • chekkizhar
    marc wrote:
    try with
    dbus-launch yakuake

What's the output?

Sorry Marc, I re-installed the application and now it is working fine. I have pasted , the current output below,

###########################################################################################
    bondGoddard@Slackware:~$ dbus-launch yakuake
    kdeinit4: Shutting down running client.
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so
    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kded4.so
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kbuildsycoca4.so
    kbuildsycoca4 running...
    kbuildsycoca4(3189) KBuildSycoca::checkTimestamps: checking file timestamps
    kbuildsycoca4(3189) KBuildSycoca::checkTimestamps: timestamps check ok
    kbuildsycoca4(3189) kdemain: Emitting notifyDatabaseChanged ()
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so
    Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
    kded(3188)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/solid_hal_power.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
    Invalid D-BUS member name 'idle-hint' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
    Invalid D-BUS member name 'is-local' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
    Invalid D-BUS member name 'x11-display-device' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
    Invalid D-BUS member name 'x11-display' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
    Invalid D-BUS member name 'display-device' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
    Invalid D-BUS member name 'remote-host-name' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
    Invalid D-BUS member name 'session-type' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
    Invalid D-BUS member name 'unix-user' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
    QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::accessibilityChanged(bool, const QString) to DeviceAutomounter::deviceMountChanged(bool, const QString)
    QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::accessibilityChanged(bool, const QString) to DeviceAutomounter::deviceMountChanged(bool, const QString)
    kded(3188)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kglobalaccel.so
    kglobalaccel(3192) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::loadSettings: Loading group "kmix"
    kglobalaccel(3192) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::loadSettings: Loading group "kwin"
    kglobalaccel(3192) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::loadSettings: Loading group "guidance-power-manager"
    kglobalaccel(3192) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::loadSettings: Loading group "krunner"
    kglobalaccel(3192) GlobalShortcut::setKeys: "Log Out" skipping because key "" is already taken
    kglobalaccel(3192) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::loadSettings: Loading group "plasma-desktop"
    kglobalaccel(3192) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::loadSettings: Loading group "khotkeys"
    kglobalaccel(3192) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::loadSettings: Loading group "kded"
    kglobalaccel(3192) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::loadSettings: Loading group "kopete"
    kglobalaccel(3192) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::loadSettings: Loading group "yakuake"
    kglobalaccel(3192) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::loadSettings: Loading group "klipper"
    kglobalaccel(3192) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::loadSettings: Loading group "ktorrent"
    kglobalaccel(3192) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::loadSettings: Loading group "lancelot"
    kglobalaccel(3192) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::registerKey: Registering key "F12" for "yakuake" : "toggle-window-state"
    kglobalaccel(3192) KGlobalAccelImpl::grabKey: grab failed!
    kglobalaccel(3192) GlobalShortcut::setActive: "toggle-window-state" : Failed to register "F12"
    yakuake(3182)/kdecore (KLibrary) findLibraryInternal: plugins should not have a 'lib' prefix: "libkonsolepart.so"
    QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we thought it was ':1.6'
    ###########################################################################################
  • chekkizhar
    Somehow, the letter, 'S' is replaced with Emotions..
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Well, if the apps is working fine now... there's no point in debugging it! ;)

Regards
  • chekkizhar
    mfillpot wrote:
    If you keep having dbus error messages and the rights are correctly assigned then you may have installed a corrupt package or the dbus package my be installed in a bad sector of your disk.

Check your error logs in /var/log to see if anything else is reporting weird to properly locate the cause.

After, re-installation, did not get those. I checked the logs in /var/log . So many files and folders. I navigated. I found the yakuake, in recently updated package, latest removed package list. regarding Dbus error, I can not able to find more information.
  • chekkizhar
    marc wrote:
    Well, if the apps is working fine now... there's no point in debugging it! ;)

Regards

yeah, But, am sorry to all people. Without waiting for a considerable period of time, I just flushed and installed again . But, now digging more in /var/log .

And as I mentioned in previous post, I got error with my ALSA sound driver too. Some, problem, after rebooting this too disappeared. I guess, the re-installation of yakuake also some un-necessary thing. After rebooting, it might also get worked.

Got one more thing. If faced any problem with hardware/related to hardware, check for the same with rebooting too ...

Thanks all.

Categories

Upcoming Training