Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Programming in C, and Java in a Linux environment.

I'm currently using Fedora15 + KDE

I this is final week and I go to a year round school, I get one week off and then start back up again. I am going to start programming finally next semester, and at my school we start out by programming in C. I would like to know what IDE + Other helpful tools/programs would be recommended for this.

After once this next semester is over, i'll be moving from C to Java 1 then Java 2 then I will be done with my associates. I saw net beans is native to Linux, is there a different program anyone would recommend for a IDE in Linux, or is Net beans definitely the way to go?

Since i'm new to programming, the more simple and helpful my environment, the better.

Comments

• ben
    ben Posts: 134
    My favorite choice is Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org), originally it was a Java development tool only but it's now my favorite choice for every kind of development, no matter about the language. You need C ? Eclipse+CDT, PHP ? Eclipse+PDT and so on...
    You may even do a lot of jobs with other languages, develop web apps, profile them and so forth; cross compiling (for embedded or Windows apps) is supported and heavily used as well, take a look at it if you want a good IDE tool.

Now the bad part: it's huge, fat and slow on cheap/obsolete hw, it eats a lot of RAM and some CPU processing power as well, you cannot use it on old hw but it runs fine on recent machines. If you'd like to use one tool for everything (with proper plugins/extensions) maybe Eclipse could be your best friend (also: platform independent), if you want to keep a smooth approach maybe you'd better look at something else

Ben
  • dwclarke
    dwclarke Posts: 12
    Well, at the other end of the scale, I program a lot in C. I use Kate and the command line.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    RSims wrote:
    I'm currently using Fedora15 + KDE

I this is final week and I go to a year round school, I get one week off and then start back up again. I am going to start programming finally next semester, and at my school we start out by programming in C. I would like to know what IDE + Other helpful tools/programs would be recommended for this.

After once this next semester is over, i'll be moving from C to Java 1 then Java 2 then I will be done with my associates. I saw net beans is native to Linux, is there a different program anyone would recommend for a IDE in Linux, or is Net beans definitely the way to go?

Since i'm new to programming, the more simple and helpful my environment, the better.

For the C thing... use the command line!!!

VIM POWAH!!!

And for the java thing.... you can still use the command line although I would suggest using Eclipse
  • asedt
    asedt Posts: 96
    For C use the text editor of your choice to write code. You can use nano in the terminal or whatever, you may want one with syntax highlighting etc.

For compiling just use GCC from the terminal: http://gcc.gnu.org/

If you do C++ run GCC with g++ then GCC will auto link with C++ library, if you do C just run with gcc.

Categories

Upcoming Training