Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Fresher Linux System Admin

Options

Hello Everyone,

I am fresher with RHCE certification and I got my first job as Linux System Administrator in a company. The job requirements mentioned that the candidate need to have 5+ years of work experience, still I cleared the interview and I got the job.

Now the issues are :

1) I do not have any support - no body knows linux here , so I am the sole person handling linux servers.

2) What should be my initial steps for administrating the server ?

3) What steps I should take to secure the servers ?

Please guide me.

Thanks,

Sahil

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Honestly it sounds like you are out of your league without experience.

If you can share the exact goals you wish to accomplish we can tutor you, but system administration takes many skills which may take a while to obtain.
  • RSims
    RSims Posts: 146
    Options
    I still want to know what kind of server this is, web application server, dns, dhcp, what are you doing with this thing. lol
  • RSims
    RSims Posts: 146
    Options
    What distribution of linux is this?? Red Hat? I assume from your certification?
  • hackertarget
    Options
    Get familiar with the server. What is its primary functions and what applications does it run.

Then run these applications up on your own system, learn them. Play with them and break them. Just do it on your test box not the production box.

Google is your friend.

As long as the system is currently stable and in good shape, any problems will be likely to due to changes YOU make on the system. So be careful and ready to back out of your changes if required.
  • spixx
    spixx Posts: 9
    Options
    The only thing I've learned and that is to Allways use the cp -a command :) never use rm -rf and allways see to it that I do this:
    cp -a /etc/filetoedit /root/backup then use vi :).

Otherwise GLHF

Categories

Upcoming Training