Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Help with running a cd to install a usb wireless

So I have vector linux light and I am trying to install a wireless adapter but I don't know how to actually run the install set up from the cd..(I know, really noob question)

any help is appreciated!

Comments

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Little confusing question. You usually install the driver from your systems repositories. If you have a second cd with all the binaries including device drivers, then you can open a terminal, go to the path of your cd-rom, and using your systems package management tool, install the driver from there.

First what kind of wireless adapter are your trying to install?

lg2011_badge.png
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Not a noob question. Depends on whether your running Vector from the Live CD or if you have it installed. Either way, find out what wireless chip your card is using. If the card is on board
    lspci

should find it, look for the line that has wireless or wifi in it. Or, if it's a USB dongle
    lsusb

should show it.
    Then, put the chip number into your add/remove software search field (examples, rtl8139 or rt2130 etc) which is under software management and see if you can find the driver. If not paste the line here that gives the wireless cards info and we'll help you further.
    If you find the driver, install it, and give it a try. Sometimes it takes a reboot to get it running, sometimes not.

Any other questions, or if your not sure what your looking at, please ask.
  • saqman2060
    Do what GoinEasy stated and also try this command,

sudo lshw

if your using the latest kernel.
  • j.violet
    j.violet Posts: 4
    Hi!! So it's a USB wireless adapter, and when I typed in lspci i got: 00: 07 .2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/#B/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)

And when i typed in lsusb i got:
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b: 0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

There is a cd which came with the USB to install the drive but I can't find out how to run the installation setup...and I can't seem to find the software management thing that you're referring to.

I installed Vector light into the hard disk instead of running it from the Live CD.

Thank you so much for all the help, I really appreciate it.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    The installation setup is probably for Windows and won't work on Linux, unless it specifically says that it works for Linux.

So, you've told me it's a usb device. There is more than one line that is outputted when you execute "lsusb". The one line you gave me points to a usb hub, not the device. Can you copy paste the whole output of "lsusb" for me? Also, what brand and maybe what model number is the wireless usb device?

We're getting closer. A couple more answers and we may be able to help.
  • saqman2060
    Yes give us the usb model and name. We can lookup the model to see if linux supports it.

lg2011_badge.png

Categories

Upcoming Training