Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

WinXP Wireless Driver

oldcity
oldcity Posts: 1

I recently purchase a USB Wireless LAN Card Adapter.

I will be using it on a Ubuntu 10.04 distribution.

I have no access to Windows products.

lsusb reveals id 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp

Please advise where I can obtain Windows XP .inf and .sys

drivers for this device as I wish to use the device with the

Ndiswrapper program.

Thanks in advance,

oldcity

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    You don't need windows to get the windows drivers downloaded, go to the device manufacturer's website to locate and download the drivers, then you can use cabextract to extract the necessary files from the exe archive.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you asking to find a driver for your usb wireless adapter to work on windows. If so, this is the wrong forum for that type of question.

Do what mfillpot suggested.

lg2011_badge.png
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    saqman2060 wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you asking to find a driver for your usb wireless adapter to work on windows. If so, this is the wrong forum for that type of question.

lg2011_badge.png

Istimsak,
    The requester is attempting to download the windows XP drivers to load them using the nsdiwrapper in lunux, which is necessary for some obscure wireless cards.

As a warning, ndiswrapper is basically like a driver emulator, so some conversions may work, but you should not expect perfect compatibility.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    mfillpot wrote:
    saqman2060 wrote:

lg2011_badge.png

Istimsak,
    The requester is attempting to download the windows XP drivers to load them using the nsdiwrapper in lunux, which is necessary for some obscure wireless cards.

As a warning, ndiswrapper is basically like a driver emulator, so some conversions may work, but you should not expect perfect compatibility.

Isn't it used to load the firmware drivers?
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Isn't it used to load the firmware drivers?

It may or may not have the ability to load firmware. It is not present on my Fedora 15 install, so I'm assuming the firmware I need loads in other ways. The last time I needed it was when I was trying to install a windows driver for a rtl8187b wlan card. Which didn't work.

The Summary reads:
    Summary : Ndiswrapper wraps around Windows WLAN drivers within Linux.

So, I'm assuming wlan drivers was its main purpose.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    You need the driver AND the firmware for NDISwrapper to work. When the firmware is extracted or downloaded to your machine, it usually goes in the /lib/firmware directory. Depending upon the kernel, many RealTek cards will work just fine. What is the make/model of the card? You only provided the ID information that lsusb was able to detect.

Categories

Upcoming Training