Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Slackware- USB modem - Connect script failed

Hai,

Am using USB modem in slackware. I configured using "pppsetup". Recently, I felt my connection is very slow and tried to change the nameserver. In "/etc/resolv.conf" file, i changed my nameserver to 4.2.2.2 from my USB vendor nameserver..

In that "/etc" dir I found the following files too,

resolv.conf.2495

resolv.conf.2693

resolv.conf.3404

resolv.conf-bak

resolv.conf.2665

resolv.conf.2860

resolv_bkp.conf

Am not sure whether these files are existed from beginning. [ because, in terminal if I type "/etc/reso" then press the tab key will give the "/etc/resolv.conf" file regularly ] .

So, I deleted the above files. :( . After that, that slow connection also stopped and when I tried to connect again, I got "Connect Script failed" .

I did "pppsetup" freshly [ with same options, that worked well for past 2 months ] , but again got "Connect Script Failed".

In short,

1. I felt my internet connection was slow, decided to change the namesever in /etc/resov.conf

2. Took backup of that file by the name of "resolv_bkp.conf" in same dir and changed the nameserver to 4.2.2.2

3. Started ppp again. Felt the connection is slow. I removed the above mentioned files

4. started ppp again. Got, "connect script failed" message for "ppp-go"

How can I found a solution for this?

Thank you,

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I don't know why you had so many resolv files, but the only one that should exist is resolv.conf, which I recommend using 4.4.4.4 and 4.4.8.8 to use google's dns servers.
  • chekkizhar
    chekkizhar Posts: 182
    mfillpot wrote:
    I don't know why you had so many resolv files, but the only one that should exist is resolv.conf, which I recommend using 4.4.4.4 and 4.4.8.8 to use google's dns servers.

yes. After I made the copy of resolv.conf file, those are all appeared. Am also confused for those resov series files. so i removed all files and created one new, resolv.conf with 4.2.2.2 in it.

Will this can be a problem for the failure of connect script ?
    I removed resolv.conf and created a new one as a root. will this caused the problem ?

Because I gave input for "pppsetup",same as my previous setup which worked very well for months.

thank you matthew
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Editing the resolv.conf file will not cause any problem at all.

That is if you are just connecting to internet and don't plan on running any special servers (directory servers are usually "picky" about the DNS for example....)

Regards
  • chekkizhar
    chekkizhar Posts: 182
    marc wrote:
    Editing the resolv.conf file will not cause any problem at all.

may be.

But, now the things started to work.
    I just removed all ppp stuff from /etc/ppp dir and again did pppsetup.
    Its working.

thanks all :laugh:

Categories

Upcoming Training