Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Need help installing Brother MFC-J630W Printer!!

leoj803
leoj803 Posts: 14

I'm very new and slowly getting to know my Linux. right now I run two distros in my dell dimension 2400. Linux Mint and WattsOS R3. My first task was the USB network adapter that I finally got running, now i want to install my Brother MFC-J630W printer.

I do have drivers downloaded but how to do the rest I have not a clue. If any one can help it would be verry much appreciated.

Comments

• RickSMO
    RickSMO Posts: 123
    If your installing this as a network printer, (and I dont use linux mint so I apologize for generalizations) the easiest way is this. Assign the printer a static IP Address such as 192.168.1.5 for example, then on your computer find New Printer/Add Printer, where ever this option may be in linux mint. Once found, you want to add the LPR/LPD option, which will then ask you for a host. Type in the static IP address you assigned your printer, 192.168.1.5 in this example, for que type in or select PASSTHRU, on normal Ubuntu there is a option called "Probe" you would also press at this point. Hit forward/next follow the prompts and it will install.

Let me know if this helped at all, I hope it did.
  • leoj803
    leoj803 Posts: 14
    RickSMO wrote:
    If your installing this as a network printer, (and I dont use linux mint so I apologize for generalizations) the easiest way is this. Assign the printer a static IP Address such as 192.168.1.5 for example, then on your computer find New Printer/Add Printer, where ever this option may be in linux mint. Once found, you want to add the LPR/LPD option, which will then ask you for a host. Type in the static IP address you assigned your printer, 192.168.1.5 in this example, for que type in or select PASSTHRU, on normal Ubuntu there is a option called "Probe" you would also press at this point. Hit forward/next follow the prompts and it will install.

Let me know if this helped at all, I hope it did.

My printer is a network printer and it is recognized under network printers in printer set up. I also tried per your steps but when i move forward i'm prompted to choose driver....and that's where i'm stuck.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    From what I read, linux does not have drivers for brother printers yet. You are bettert off with, Lexmark, and HP, mainly HP.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    From where I'm working the broadband is really bad, so I could only do one search. This is a shot in the dark but look at this link and see if it has any useful info.
    http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html
  • RickSMO
    Here is the Linux driver you need, near the bottom of the page. Let me know if you run into any other issues.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#MFC-J630W
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Thanks Richard
    Android and Verizon were taking forever to load a page. I pictured the Verizon guy saying, "I can't hear you now". So, I'm glad you looked at the link and found the driver. I hope it helped.
  • RickSMO
    no problem glad to help.
  • RickSMO
    did this issue get resolved?

Categories

Upcoming Training