Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

How to make SUBdirectories in Dovecot...

Hi!

I wonder how i can get subdirectories (.INBOX/***/*** etc...) in dovecot...

I just stardet a mail server and when i tried to create it from the mail client (MS Outlook) it says that the server wont allow it...

Anyone who knows a solution?

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Theatre wrote:
    Hi!

I just stardet a mail server and when i tried to create it from the mail client (MS Outlook) it says that the server wont allow it...

Could you please try with a different mail client, say Thunderbird, to exclude the possibilty that there's some problem with Outlook?
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Theatre wrote:
    Hi!

Perhaps your mail server is not compatible with "MS Outlook" or your server is blocking it with it's firewall. Check your firewall settings and check compatibility. Which then brings me to the next question, what type of server are you using? And of course, try Thunderbird.:laugh:
  • marc
    saqman2060 wrote:
    Theatre wrote:
    Hi!

Perhaps your mail server is not compatible with "MS Outlook" or your server is blocking it with it's firewall. Check your firewall settings and check compatibility. Which then brings me to the next question, what type of server are you using? And of course, try Thunderbird.:laugh:

He is running dovecot...

It's not a matter of firewall as he can connect to the email server, there must be something wrong somewhere else

Regards
  • Theatre
    Theatre Posts: 5
    Thanks for your answers guys!

Its true, i can connect to the server and it works fine... Its just when i try to create a subfolder under INBOX that the server rejects. I can create a folder in the root.. but when i tried to create a sub folder in THAT folder it rejects again...

Anyone who knows what to do?
  • marc
    Theatre wrote:
    Thanks for your answers guys!

Its true, i can connect to the server and it works fine... Its just when i try to create a subfolder under INBOX that the server rejects. I can create a folder in the root.. but when i tried to create a sub folder in THAT folder it rejects again...

Anyone who knows what to do?

Have you tried with another client as we suggested?

Have you tried creating a subfolder whithin that directory you created?

Maybe Outlook needs a special way of configuring the folders ("/" instead of "."). Check http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Maildir

Regards
  • Theatre

Maybe Outlook needs a special way of configuring the folders ("/" instead of "."). Check http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Maildir

Regards

I have tried with another client, but its the same result.

i cant create a folder because all mail is stored in 1 file... not in folders.
    i think the problem is because of that.

But im rather a newbie so i dont know that much of how it works...
  • marc
    Theatre wrote:

Regards

Are you using mbox or maildir format?

EDIT: stupid question, forget about it.
  • Theatre
    marc wrote:
    Theatre wrote:

Regards

Are you using mbox or maildir format?

EDIT: stupid question, forget about it.

Dunno :)

I haven't change anything in the /etc/dovecot.conf
    it just worked... :)

Im using fetchmail to fetch the mail and it stores the mail in /var/spool/mail/"username"

EDIT: mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u <- that's the conf im using...

Categories

Upcoming Training