Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

PGP key size in Ubuntu

Options

Hi everyone.

Is it true that PGP keys in Ubuntu can't have a key bigger than 1024bits? and that 4096bits is just a label you can see in Seahorse key manager?

I've heard this is to let government be able to break the key (clearly, by brute forcing).

Is that true?

If that's true, what's the cure?

Comments

• ben
    ben Posts: 134
    Options
    I've used this few weeks ago:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1146081

as you can see you're not limited to a 1k key.

Cheers
    Ben
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Options
    ben wrote:
    I've used this few weeks ago:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1146081

as you can see you're not limited to a 1k key.

Cheers
    Ben

No related to the topic but... I suggest you all to use RSA instead of DSA as it's more secure.

Regards
  • ActiveX
    ActiveX Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm of course talking about RSA + 4096bits of length, but I mean exactly of this. I mean you set 4096 but you get a 1024bits key, does this happen?
    That's why I've begun this thread. To find out if seahorse tells the truth in this case. What I mean is that I'm told that I may choose key size to be 4096, but seahorse will make a 1024bit key for every number greater than 1024. I wanna know if it's true or not.

Thank you.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Options
    ActiveX wrote:
    I'm of course talking about RSA + 4096bits of length, but I mean exactly of this. I mean you set 4096 but you get a 1024bits key, does this happen?
    That's why I've begun this thread. To find out if seahorse tells the truth in this case. What I mean is that I'm told that I may choose key size to be 4096, but seahorse will make a 1024bit key for every number greater than 1024. I wanna know if it's true or not.

Thank you.

Well, you can always download the livecd and try it yourself, can't you? :)

Regards

Categories

Upcoming Training