Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Recommendations for good programming books

Im here looking for some recommendations for some good programming books that deal with C++. I am a begginer at this kind of stuff yet given that fact I do have general understanding.

Also im looking for books that deal with how to write an operating system. Any that you might know of off hand.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    I used the book "Absolute C++" by Walter Savitch, and was quite satisfied with it. The book is easy to read, and touches all the basics (pointers, object orientation, linked data structures, templates, exceptions, basic input/output, STL).
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    tsmith8906 wrote:
    Im here looking for some recommendations for some good programming books that deal with C++. I am a begginer at this kind of stuff yet given that fact I do have general understanding.

Also im looking for books that deal with how to write an operating system. Any that you might know of off hand.

Thanks in advance.

Thinking in C++ is the one I'm reading right now and seems quite good :)
  • MikeEnIke
    MikeEnIke Posts: 88
    marc wrote:
    tsmith8906 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Thinking in C++ is the one I'm reading right now and seems quite good :)

Yes search for that on Amazon, that's a good book.
  • ben
    ben Posts: 134
    Another vote for Thinking in C++ but also "programming in C++" and "C++ Programming Language" (from Bjarne Stroustrup).
    If you're dealing with a kernel or you're interested in OS internals you'd better look at a good C book (start with kernighan and ritchie of course ) or documentation, C++ is not so often used inside a kernel

Categories

Upcoming Training