Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

OpenOffice on Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

RickSMO
RickSMO Posts: 123

I'm not very good with linux yet, however I like OpenOffice and don't want libre office. I have tried countless times to install it but I can't, mostly due to lack of knowledge I believe. Here is what I do:

I go to OpenOffice.org

Download the 64 bit Debian file

extract and open folder

See a bunch of different files and accomplish nothing.

What is the step I am missing? I have been able to install other programs by going to the terminal, typing in sudo su to become root then dragging and dropping the file I am trying to install into the terminal window.

Please help, I am running Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop

Let me know if you need more information.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    LibreOffice is OpenOffice. When Oracle started playing games after the acquisition of Sun, the developers took the open source code and offered it up with the LibreOffice brand. It (the name) switched in the fedora repos also, but, except for the name, the code is the same.
    If you need the OpenOffice product from Oracle, you can still download it from the Oracle website. At least I think you can, the stories in the news today is that Oracle is going to donate OpenOffice to the Apache Foundation. If you Google "OpenOffice" the first hit should lead you to the download site.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Goineasy9 wrote:
    LibreOffice is OpenOffice. When Oracle started playing games after the acquisition of Sun, the developers took the open source code and offered it up with the LibreOffice brand. It (the name) switched in the fedora repos also, but, except for the name, the code is the same.
    If you need the OpenOffice product from Oracle, you can still download it from the Oracle website. At least I think you can, the stories in the news today is that Oracle is going to donate OpenOffice to the Apache Foundation. If you Google "OpenOffice" the first hit should lead you to the download site.

The code is *not* the same. Might be very close, but it is definitely not the same. Libreoffice has patches from go-oo that Openoffice hasn't.

From an average user point of view: well, yes, it is the same program ;)

@rickSMO: I would suggest you to install LibreOffice, don't worry about being "different" from Openoffice :)
  • RickSMO
    RickSMO Posts: 123
    Well using Microsoft Office at school, Open Office on windows and then Fibre Office on linux its screwing up my documents. Not majorly, but annoying enough.

I did some flow charts for my programming concepts class in OpenOffice, they opened up fine in microsoft office, but then in Fibre they were all screwed up with pieces missing.

This is why I want just OpenOffice, but if OpenOffice is going to be no more, I guess I might need to get used to Fibre....
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    RickSMO wrote:
    Well using Microsoft Office at school, Open Office on windows and then Fibre Office on linux its screwing up my documents. Not majorly, but annoying enough.

I did some flow charts for my programming concepts class in OpenOffice, they opened up fine in microsoft office, but then in Fibre they were all screwed up with pieces missing.

This is why I want just OpenOffice, but if OpenOffice is going to be no more, I guess I might need to get used to Fibre....

Well, openoffice was just given to the Apache Foundation (anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

Libreoffice is probably the way to go!

Regards

Categories

Upcoming Training