Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Drizzle, the MySQL heir

Options
atreyu
atreyu Posts: 216

Hey,

I'm a heavy user of MySQL - can't live w/o it, really. I don't have ridonkulous amounts of data/records, and my end-user population is usually in the single digits, so I really don't need an enterprise solution (and I don't have funding to throw at the problem anyway), i.e., MySQL suits my needs perfectly. So naturally, when I read this article today:

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/news/mysql-successor-drizzle-reaches-maturity/

it got me wondering about Drizzle. I've never heard of it, but apparently it will be the de facto open source DB soon.

Does anyone have any experience with it? How different is the API? Are there significant improvements (or bugs)? Is it worth avoiding the Christmas rush and getting it installed now? I'm a perl monkey, so I was relieved to see plenty of Drizzle-related modules on CPAN - any experiences with those out there?

Mods: Don't know where this question really belongs - there is no "DB" category

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Options
    You can have a look at MariaDB as well
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    Options
    marc wrote:
    Ah, very interesting - thanks for that. For those who don't look it up, MariaDB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL.
  • ben
    ben Posts: 134
    Options
    atreyu wrote:
    marc wrote:
    Ah, very interesting - thanks for that. For those who don't look it up, MariaDB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL.

Created by MySQL founder (Monty)

Categories

Upcoming Training