Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

What's the point of "Account type" in our Profile?

Options
marc
marc Posts: 647

I can choose between:

End User

Developer

Consultant

Community Manager

Executive

What is it for?

Regards

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I do not know the exact reason for the classification, but I think it is really so people can understand your role in regards to Linux use and administration.
  • marc
    Options
    mfillpot wrote:
    I do not know the exact reason for the classification, but I think it is really so people can understand your role in regards to Linux use and administration.

Does that mean I'm a consultant? or that's only if Linux.com "consults" me?

Dunno, "Consultant" sounds way cooler than "End User" heheh ;) (ego problem? who knows? )

Regards
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    One of the goals of the site it to allow members to market themselves to potential employers, by choosing consultant, developer, etc... you can indicate to potential employers what professional level you hold. I personally will never list myself as a consultant because I will not consider working as a consultant.
  • marc
    Options
    mfillpot wrote:
    One of the goals of the site it to allow members to market themselves to potential employers, by choosing consultant, developer, etc... you can indicate to potential employers what professional level you hold. I personally will never list myself as a consultant because I will not consider working as a consultant.

I most certaintly would therefore I'm changing my Account Type :)

Regards
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Options
    I agree with mfillpot. Those classifications are used to mark skill level or job role. I first put consultant because I was helping others on this site. Thought that would be appropriate. Until I discovered there proper use, I just put end-user.

Categories

Upcoming Training