Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Kernel headers

Hi,

Can some one please explain what are kernel headers. I found this(kernel headers) in the below lines.

A more common problem is that some Linux distros distribute incomplete kernel headers. You'll need to

compile your code using various header files from the Linux kernel. Murphy's Law states that the headers that

are missing are exactly the ones that you'll need for your module work.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    The kernel headers are installed when you install the dev components of the kernel. They are necessary in order to build loadable kernel modules, or other drivers, but are not required to build normal software. If you are not building kernel code, you don't need to worry about it. If you are, then you should also install the entire kernel code as it is necessary for building kernel modules on current kernels.

So, tell us what you are trying to do.
  • ford
    ford Posts: 24
    Header files define structures and constants that are needed to build kernel modules (as well as some other software), as well as recompilation of the Linux kernel itself. There are most likely packages for whatever distribution you are using that will contain the kernel source and headers. apt/zypper/yum search for linux-dev or linux-headers or linux-source.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    Kumar, these are the C header files that define portions of the API exposed to developers by the Kernel.

I suspect, based on your question that you're not terribly familiar with C programming. That may be a good place to start. Once you understand what a header file is / does, you will more clearly understand what the kernel headers are, and why one might need them.
  • chekkizhar
    chekkizhar Posts: 182
    "A more common problem is that some Linux distros distribute incomplete kernel headers"

a strong Negative

"Murphy's Law states that the headers that
    are missing are exactly the ones that you'll need for your module work."

I don't believe in Murphy's law. If you are correct, the things won't go wrong. And I dont think so, Murthy particularly told about "headers" .. His thing is generic. My thought is, the people use this to escape from their mistakes
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Wow, an 11 month old thread revived ... is someone trying to set a record?
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Goineasy9 wrote:

The counts goes for 37 in 24h...
  • chekkizhar
    marc wrote:
    Goineasy9 wrote:

i think you need to count correctly. its 39 :P
  • chekkizhar
    Goineasy9 wrote:

... is someone trying to set a record?

yes, and that person is "linux.com" :) by giving answers to even 11 month old thread
    Wow, an 11 month old thread revived

then its better , the concern authorities can remove the threads which are all started 2 months before :)
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    linustorvalds wrote:
    marc wrote:
    Goineasy9 wrote:

i think you need to count correctly. its 39 :P

Dude, seriously, stop flooding.

I might even get to believe you are trying to help but, in fact, you are just doing the opposite.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Goineasy9 wrote:

Some things just take time before we get a round tuit.... ;-)

Categories

Upcoming Training