Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

How much RAM really needed to install Fedora?

Since Fedora 10 it requires something more than the 390MB that my machine is maxed out with, and the still-used boilerplate Release Notes lie:

2.4.2.1.1. Processor and memory

Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB

Recommended RAM for graphical: 256MiB

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f10/en_US/What_is_New_for_Installation_and_Live_Images.html#x86_specifics_for_Fedora

Comments

• DrakeMagi
    DrakeMagi Posts: 43
    Those specs are for gnome Fedora , kde Fedora require more.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    I just put Fedora 13 on an old P4 machine with 500mb memory. I installed the Gnome version. I must say by looking at the memory usage in gkrellm I'm close to maxed out on memory usage. While I still haven't seen it resort to swap memory, I would think that to have a normal running Fedora, 500mb would be minimum.
  • altNull
    altNull Posts: 65
    When you are installing with the GUI installer from the DVD, then you can select advanced package management and deselect the gnome and kde. This will require even less resources, but will only have command-line. Can install a GUI latter, after you do extensive research and you can customize the installation to use less resources than a standard install of a GUI.
  • altNull wrote:
    When you are installing with the GUI installer from the DVD, then you can select advanced package management and deselect the gnome and kde. This will require even less resources, but will only have command-line. Can install a GUI latter, after you do extensive research and you can customize the installation to use less resources than a standard install of a GUI.
    Buying more memory was cheaper than "extensive research." :) Now if I could only get rid of that fruity pink background and all these freaky error messages that have invaded my OpenGL app: "CS section size missmatch start at (r200_state_init.c,tex_emit_mm...
  • altNull
    altNull Posts: 65
    Basically, like all other Linux distros, it depends on how much you put into it. If your a command line nut like me, then you can get it under 512mb of ram easily. You just have to not install any gui and go through your init.d and disable anything you don't need. Be careful in there - you can really kill a machine if you don't research what your doing.

Command line FTW!

-altNull

note: With Under 512mb it can take forever to just install, cut out any unneeded programs at install. If you need them later - you can always install them then. Also, it will take a while to install anyway, so be prepared to have this system up for an entire night if needed.
  • chekkizhar
    chekkizhar Posts: 182
    512 MB is good for gnome,somehow ok for KDE. Try to stop background jobs[openoffice starter, etc ]. Disable desktop effects .. you can run the fedora smoothly..

Categories

Upcoming Training