Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Ubuntu 11.04 hd0 out of disk boot error

Options

When I boot up ubuntu, I see the following error.

hd0 out of disk.
Press any key to continue...

However, after I press the key to acknowledge, it boots normally. There do not seem to be any adverse effects other than extending my boot time by a couple minutes, but I would like to know what is going on.

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Options
    Check your partitions aren't full?

df -h
  • Netbattler11
    Options
    No, all of those except my optical drive show up at least 70% empty.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    Maybe if you showed us the output of df -h and/or (as root) fdisk -l, we might be able to help you a little more. I haven't seen hd0 used as a label on a disk for a while, then again, I may be mistaken, it still may be around. But I would think that a recent Debian distro would have their hard disks labelled a sda, sdb sdc and so on.
    With fdisk -l, we might be able to see if the error is referring to another partition or point us in another direction.

Edit: Was just looking around and it seems it's some kind of grub2 error. You might have to wait for someone who has an Ubuntu install running to help you. I'm not that familiar with Ubuntu's Grub2. I'm just wondering if your booting with a usb stick inserted, or, and external HD attached that's causing your error.
  • proxy
    proxy Posts: 3
    Options
    Yep...Had the same problem and came to the same conclusion as Goingeasy9<< it was a grub error>>. Backed up my system and did a fresh install(didn't have the time to mess around)......Problem went away. :dry:
  • marc
    Options
    Ain't it easier to reinstall the bootloader?

Regards
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Due to the current kernels that are used by ubuntu and the error message talking about hd0, it sounds like either grub is configured to read from hd0 (which is now called sdo) or the initrd image for ubuntu is referencing hd0. If the current installation has been upgraded using the the standard release upgrade function in the update manager then this all makes sense.
  • marc
    Options
    mfillpot wrote:
    Due to the current kernels that are used by ubuntu and the error message talking about hd0, it sounds like either grub is configured to read from hd0 (which is now called sdo) or the initrd image for ubuntu is referencing hd0. If the current installation has been upgraded using the the standard release upgrade function in the update manager then this all makes sense.

If that's so... how on earth could they forget about something this *essential*???

Anyway... that's what happens by using software that it's still subject to changes in a, supposedly, stable distro
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    marc wrote:
    mfillpot wrote:

If that's so... how on earth could they forget about something this *essential*???

Anyway... that's what happens by using software that it's still subject to changes in a, supposedly, stable distro

I have seen several issues such as this with ubuntu users in the past. But the other cases were from users that manually modified their grub entries, which could explain why the automatic script did not catch and correct the changes.

As with anything else in computers, the software can only do what it has been programmed to do. The programmers cannot anticipate all user changes, so cannot be expected to always work at 100%.
  • marc
    Options
    mfillpot wrote:
    As with anything else in computers, the software can only do what it has been programmed to do. The programmers cannot anticipate all user changes, so cannot be expected to always work at 100%.

Nor I'm saying that they should ;)

The thing is that this looks like the *one* thing to check if you update the grub in any installation.
  • proxy
    proxy Posts: 3
    Options
    Quote: Ain't it easier to reinstall the bootloader?

Yes, I did but gave me the same problem..... :unsure: so the fresh install was the next in the to do list.:)

Categories

Upcoming Training