Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Which distro

I have upgraded my system to Ubuntu 11.04 and I don't like it. So, I decided to switch to XFCE but since I have to reload the OS, I'm exploring other options. Here's your chance to prompt your favourite distro.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Depends on what you're using the machine for and what hardware is in it. I use fedora because I like bleeding edge distros that I can use to test new hardware. I used Debian Sid before that. I wouldn't suggest either to a new user, although as a new user I cut my teeth on Sid.

What do you want you machine to do for you?
  • Goineasy9 wrote:

Some development, some web development, and, of course, games. :)
  • Lman
    Lman Posts: 52
    Well that's okay. You just got off on the wrong foot, considering ubuntu just started using Unity for their desktop release. Honestly if you found an older version of ubuntu or linux mint, you should be set. A personal fave is xubuntu 10.04 LTS. If nothing else, just go to distrowatch and browse. Good luck :)
  • Lman wrote:
    Well that's okay. You just got off on the wrong foot, considering ubuntu just started using Unity for their desktop release.

No, I didn't get off on the wrong foot. I've been running it for several days, so I have a good idea of what it does and doesn't do. First of all, it's flaky. I have a system monitor running in a background window and every now and again its frame disappears (gets replaced with the background image). And sometimes, portions of its interior do the same.

Second, it doesn't display all the applications in its menus. To get to the app I want, I have to type in its starting letters. But I can already do that in a terminal; it's called auto-completion and its been around for decades. If I don't want to start apps in a GUI, I wouldn't run a GUI.

Yes, I do expect something better than that at this time. It' not the 20th century anymore.

And why would I want to rollback to an older version when there are so many interesting distros to from? I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations (or those to avoid).
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    shawnhcorey wrote:
    Goineasy9 wrote:

Some development, some web development, and, of course, games. :)
    I use Fedora for dev/web dev and I'm very happy with it. I don't use the latest/greatest release, but you don't have to worry about Unity, anyway. I don't run any games (unless you count Doom)
  • Lman
    Lman Posts: 52
    I'm sorry I think you misunderstood. It's got nothing to do with you really, I'm saying you got off on the wrong foot in the sense that Ubuntu is just going through the Unity transfer and the latest release is not in any way stable. I apologize.
  • But in this day and age, it should not be released unless it's stable. Anyway, I loaded up Xubuntu. I got my menus working but I have still to figure out how to do a background slideshow.

Categories

Upcoming Training