Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Question On a Project....

Options

Okay I have myself faced with this. I have a family friend's computer that is giving me issues. If I were to assess it I would say it either has a worm that is creating files to take up space on the HDD or the fragmented files that are shown have no home. Now I tried to run the XP default defrag via computer management. It showed over 50% of the drive was all fragmented files and it said it couldn't fix them. Now I am wondering this- is there a way I could run a live CD and run a program that would just blow all the fragmented files? I will back everything up. I have another way I can fix their computer so I am not really fishing for ideas on what to do, but they're accepted. I just wanna know if there is a live CD with a program to do this. Maybe system restore CD??? Thanks in advance

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Options
    You can search for live cds with ntfsprogs support, I'm pretty sure there are many :)
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    There are no live tools that I am aware of that can defragment a windows hard drive, once option that you can try it os physically remove the disk and attach it to a new computer where it will load as an extra hard drvie and the actions can be performed.
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    Options
    I've used BartPE to do hard disk maintenance on Windows machines before and it worked pretty well (but slow). Not a Linux solution but oh well...
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Options
    There is one liveCD that you can use for restore grml based on debian. When I read it, it said it is used by admins for sysadminstration and system restore. When you boot with the liveCD, run "fsck" on the drive.

Can you run a virus removal tool to get rid of the worm? I seems you have a virus of some sort. Plus the drive has bad sectors on it. As what mfillpot said, connect the drive to another machine and see if you can defrag it.

Another way, it to clone that drave to a spare it you have one and use that as the primary drive. Use as last resort.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    You mean Hiren's BootCD doesn't have the utilities you need? I thought every utility known to man was on Hirens.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Sorry, but, I haven't really used it in a while, but I always keep a recent copy in my kit. It's known to be very useful. While I prefer Open Source solutions like PartedMagic, which I use constantly, take a look at what comes on Hiren's.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/hbcd-v132/
  • Lman
    Lman Posts: 52
    Options
    @mfillpot
    I just want something to fix the bad sectors..
    @Goineasy9
    So on Hiren's would HDAT2 be what I want?
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Options
    Lman wrote:
    @mfillpot
    I just want something to fix the bad sectors..
    @Goineasy9
    So on Hiren's would HDAT2 be what I want?

Then again: ntfsprogs
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    @Logan
    I don't use Windows or claim to know which of the utilities on that disk are right for your purpose. I mention it because it is known to have answers for just about any Windows problem. If you find an app on Hiren's that matches your problem, it is up to you to decide the next step.

Edit: If you just want to fix bad sectors, I would think a low level format using the utility that is specific for your HD manufacturer would be the way to go. I know those are included on Hiren's.

Categories

Upcoming Training