Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Hey y'all, just curious about android x-86 proj...

Lman
Lman Posts: 52

I'm just wondering is there anyone out there who has messed with it? What's it like? I just wanted to know because I can't just download things on the fly and I wondered if anyone was using it. Post if you have used it or have screenshots of it being used would greatly appreciate it!!

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    The last time I checked on the project it was in it's infancy and not ready for easy installation. however it now looks like it is stabilized and ready for normal users. I will install it into a virtual machine tonight and share what I find.

In case someone else is interested in trying it out, the website is http://www.android-x86.org/
  • Lman
    @mfillpot
    Hey just thought I would mention I'm currently downloading the generic 2.2 ISO and I will post my findings here. Have you played around with it any?
  • mfillpot
    Here are my thoughts on the 2.2 of android x86

Pros:
    Fast
    Simple Installation
    It does allow android to be installed on x86 system

Cons:
    Can't modify the resolution
    All keyboard input it in some character based language, I think it is chinese
    The app installations fail
    Limited capabilities

It does deliver on what is advertised, but it is not really usable on a desktop or laptop system for anything but testing purposes.
  • Lman
    Ya I tried it for myself except for downloading and installing apps. But to be honest I think this is probably not the last thing we're going to hear from these guys. I am thinking I'll try the 1.6 version soon.
  • mfillpot
    I agree that they are not done, getting it running is only the first hurdle. I can see them optimizing it and getting things configured to run cleaner.

Categories

Upcoming Training