Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

New to Linux, some newbie questions.

To start off, I have no idea of which version to choose. I am very computer literate and am currently in college for Busniess Systems Networking/IT. The controller arm of my HDD just went out and while I can afford the new HDD I don't really have the cash to spare for another OS. HP will not send me a media disk for Vista and to be honest I would rather have Windows 7 than Vista. So it's a clean install.

Somethings I want to be able to do in Linux:

Develope apps

Program using Python, VB, C++, HTML and possibly Javascript

Browse the net

If possible, but not a big deal if I can't: Yahoo and MSN Instant Messenger

I am normally a Windows Junkie, even though this will be my first time using Linux I am sure I will be able to figure it out and learn about with ease.

The Specs of the PC (not sure if it matters)

500Gb HDD

8Gb of RAM

AMD Phenom quad core CPU

Nvidia 9500GS Graphics card 512Mb of dedicated graphics memory

I have read that some graphics cards are hit or miss with drivers. The PC is two years old so I am crossing my fingers.

Just a side question here: I don't hate Firefox, but it's not my browser of choice. Can I run IE on Linux? Specifically IE 9?

My instructor is a Mandriva fan, but I have heard mixed opinions about Mandriva, Unbuntu and Fedora from some of my classmates. If anyone could offer some insight to which version I should get with the information I have provided I would greatly appreciate it very much.

If you need to know anymore specifics just ask and I will be more than happy to to give them.

Comments

• atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    Howdy,

Your computing needs aren't too esoteric, so you'd be fine with just about any of the major Linux distros. The specs you've listed should not pose any probs for any current Linux distro. The first advice I'd give you is to try out the Live DVD version of the Linux distros you are interested in. Then, once you find the one you really like, you can opt to install it "permanently" to a hard drive.

Here's the link to Fedora's Live media:
    http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

Get Ubuntu here:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

I haven't used Mandriva since before the turn of the century, so no comment there. There are many other great distros, too - i'm sure others will pipe up and pimp their faves.

Fedora/Ubuntu (and most other major distros) will have all the ready-to-install compilers and interpreters you'll need to get coding.

As for IE on Linux, I've used IEs4Linux (clever name!) in the past and it works great. certainly better than trying to use IE via Wine myself. But if you just keep trying FF, i'm sure you'll come around...

There are plenty of other web/internet-capable applications and means of navigating the web in Linux, so don't be worried there.

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux

good luck!
  • Thanks a ton. I have been reading and I think I am going to try out Unbuntu. Firefox on Vista was a memory HOG, but my biggest peeve with it was when I was coding with HTML. I don't hate it, I just never really gave it a chance after that.
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    Mortainous28 wrote:
    Thanks a ton. I have been reading and I think I am going to try out Unbuntu. Firefox on Vista was a memory HOG, but my biggest peeve with it was when I was coding with HTML. I don't hate it, I just never really gave it a chance after that.

well if you DO give FF another shot, and you're a web developer, you have to try the FF add-on called Firebug:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/firebug/

it's been a real help to me. there's also one called Web Developer, i think, but i don't get as much use out of that one.

FF has been making improvements in memory usage, too, so maybe you'll get lucky w/the next version you try!
  • Lman
    Lman Posts: 52
    My thought has always been that I don't have any objections to IE9, But i've not really turned back since firefox.

I've played with enough distros that allow Python that It's extremely common to find that almost all of them allow Python. I know that if you use Ubuntu and try Python on there, they even have a GUI Shell (Pyshell) that you can download form the Ubuntu Software Center. But in any case, just pick the one you like best because with the processing power and RAM you have, it shouldn't be a problem to run any of them efficently.
  • Lman
    Lman Posts: 52
    *all that carry python include python sorry
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    To start off, tou can dual boot with Windows 7 and Linux on the same system. Windows must be installed first.

You can user any linux OS for programming and yes you can use python, C++, HTML and javascript. VB is not supported unless you use a program like wine which is used to run windows apps. You can also us it to run IE 9 as well.

Yahoo and MSN are not included with linux but you can use one of the opensource programs like pidgin and empathy and link your yahoo and msn accounts to them. Or, as another possibility, use wine to try to install it.

Your PC is perfect for linux, and Nvidia cards are highly supported. So far all my nvidia cards have full support.

Since you are a windows junky, I recommend using Zorin OS 4. This linux system has a windows 7 like gui interface the makes it so easy to use the system. It works out of the box, very fast, especially with your system and has a program called, "software center" that allows you to install any program in its repository. This system is very stable, the perfect linux system for you.B)

http://www.zorin-os.webs.com/
    Mortainous28 wrote:
    To start off, I have no idea of which version to choose. I am very computer literate and am currently in college for Busniess Systems Networking/IT. The controller arm of my HDD just went out and while I can afford the new HDD I don't really have the cash to spare for another OS. HP will not send me a media disk for Vista and to be honest I would rather have Windows 7 than Vista. So it's a clean install.

Somethings I want to be able to do in Linux:

Develope apps
    Program using Python, VB, C++, HTML and possibly Javascript
    Browse the net
    If possible, but not a big deal if I can't: Yahoo and MSN Instant Messenger

I am normally a Windows Junkie, even though this will be my first time using Linux I am sure I will be able to figure it out and learn about with ease.

The Specs of the PC (not sure if it matters)

500Gb HDD
    8Gb of RAM
    AMD Phenom quad core CPU
    Nvidia 9500GS Graphics card 512Mb of dedicated graphics memory

I have read that some graphics cards are hit or miss with drivers. The PC is two years old so I am crossing my fingers.

Just a side question here: I don't hate Firefox, but it's not my browser of choice. Can I run IE on Linux? Specifically IE 9?

My instructor is a Mandriva fan, but I have heard mixed opinions about Mandriva, Unbuntu and Fedora from some of my classmates. If anyone could offer some insight to which version I should get with the information I have provided I would greatly appreciate it very much.

If you need to know anymore specifics just ask and I will be more than happy to to give them.
  • Thank for the suggestions guys. No big deal about the messenger apps, and I can do VB on my laptop if I must. Glad to hear that Nvivia is heavily supported.

Thank you all for your help. =)
  • anand44
    anand44 Posts: 11
    Definitely Ubuntu is the best Distro for all your need download it from this site http://www.ubuntu.com/download & for web developing just try Bluefish from the Ubuntu Software Center it;s a good HTML editor.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    If you are talking about VB.net rather than VB6, then you can checkout monodevelop (http://monodevelop.com/Documentation/Feature_List) which allows you to develop in .net languages on non-windows platforms.

Categories

Upcoming Training